What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Part numbers

thoma015

Well Known Member
Im building a Rv-7 and i was not too pleased with how the trailing edge turned out on the rudder. I flew in a RV-8 this weekend (thanks Dan!) and was looking at the rudder and noticed there was no trailing edge. I contacted Vans about putting a 8 rudder on my 7 and was told that the VS are exactly the same on both airplanes so there wouldn't be a problem putting the 8 rudder on the 7 VS.

The help i need is part numbers (and quantity) for the 8 rudder. If anyone could give me a list of what parts i need to order that would be very helpful!

Thanks,

Hawk

Last edited:
Hawk,
Taken directly from my Vans supplied drawing dated Sept. 2001:
R-801PP skin
R-815A Stiffeners (2) (made from angle that Vans supplies. Type in 'R-815' on Vans website in the "search the list" window. It will show all of the stiffners in 3 separate groups)
R-815B ?
R-815C ?
R-815D ?
R-815E ?
R-815F ?
R-815G ?
R-815H ?
R-802PP Spar
R-703 Tip Rib (part # is correct); R-704 Bottom Rib; R-716 Rudder Bottom Attach Strip (2);
R-710 Rudder Horn Brace; R-405 PD Rudder Horn; R-411 Fiberglass Rudder bottom (two types available: one with tail light provision; one without);
R-717 shim; R-606PP spar reinforcement plate; R-607PP spar reinf. plate; R-608PP spar reinf. plate;
R-713 counterbalance skin; E-614-020 counterweight; R-809 Fiberglass tip (top).

Hope this helps. If you need a hardware list, that will take awhile to put together.
Regards,
J Baker
RV8 finishing (more or less)

Call and order rudder kit

Just call Van's order department. I am 99% sure they sell an RV8 rudder kit. This will make it real easy for you and include all the necessary hardware and instructions.

Plans

Just call Van's order department. I am 99% sure they sell an RV8 rudder kit. This will make it real easy for you and include all the necessary hardware and instructions.

Just in case, ask if the full size plan page is included. Someone on VAF can copy or scan the appropriate pages from the destruction manwell.

rudder trailing edge?

Im building a Rv-7 and i was not too pleased with how the trailing edge turned out on the rudder. I flew in a RV-8 this weekend (thanks Dan!) and was looking at the rudder and noticed there was no trailing edge. I contacted Vans about putting a 8 rudder on my 7 and was told that the VS are exactly the same on both airplanes so there wouldn't be a problem putting the 8 rudder on the 7 VS.

The help i need is part numbers (and quantity) for the 8 rudder. If anyone could give me a list of what parts i need to order that would be very helpful!

Thanks,

Hawk

By "there was no trailing edge" do you mean that there was no riveted sharp trailing edge? The RV-8 rudder is formed by folding the skin at the trailing edge, into a radius that is about 3/32" radius (3/16" wide from skin to skin).
Both types of trailing edge have their relative pros and cons.

By "there was no trailing edge" do you mean that there was no riveted sharp trailing edge? The RV-8 rudder is formed by folding the skin at the trailing edge, into a radius that is about 3/32" radius (3/16" wide from skin to skin).
Both types of trailing edge have their relative pros and cons.

Exactly, I should have said the -7 had a wedge to join the 2 skins where the 8 was a folded skin, much like the VS or HS skins. I like the look of that folded edge.

What are some of the pros and cons of each?

Last edited:
pro's and con's of sharp trailing edge vs folded skin

sharp trailing edge:
pros:
-Lower drag
-Very predictable control force behavior
-slightly more rigid in skin flex between rear end of stiffener and trailing edge
cons:
-More weight, so less counterbalanced (unless you make the counterweight bigger too)(may be offset by using thinner skin)

Folded skin:
pros:
-very light
-easier/faster to build, plus no messing with proseal

cons:
-potential for cracking at fold or at rear end of stiffener(seems to be solved with the heavier skin and using RTV in the fold at the ends of the stiffeners)
- Must be folded carefully to form an effective trailing edge. Failure to do this well can give vague control centering, or bi-stable offset (will want to sit slightly to left or right, not want to sit in the middle).

Keep in mind the rudder with the trailing edge wedge is larger. The RV-7 started out with the folded trailing edge, but they went to the larger rudder to help spin recovery(I think).

Back