What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Counter balance rib on rudder

thoma015

Well Known Member
On the rudder plans it calls for you to dimple the 2 holes in counterbalance rib where the screws go that hold the weight. I didn't have a #10 die so I counter sunk those holes instead. Am i correct in doing this in lieu of dimpling?!?

I would double check with Vans, but I'm fairly certain that will not work. That's pretty thin material to countersink for the screw that secures the counterweight.
Not much material left for the screw to hold on to.

Too thin, yes absolutely. Firmly securing that weight is very important. I just pulled the dimple in with the tightening of the screw in place. You might consider epoxy or proseal to additionally secure the weight to the rib. Don't worry about filing the small areas to be fitted, just use a hammer to shape the lead. You want the original weight, not lightened.

On the rudder plans it calls for you to dimple the 2 holes in counterbalance rib where the screws go that hold the weight. I didn't have a #10 die so I counter sunk those holes instead. Am i correct in doing this in lieu of dimpling?!?

Definitely too thin. A countersink in this area is an accident waiting to happen. IF the weight breaks free, it can JAM the rudder and if it happens in flight, I do not what to think about the outcome.

Use a #10 screw to make the dimple after you replace the part. Counter sink into a piece of steel so for the other end to make your own die.

you could CS into a piece of hard wood, use a screw, not the screw, and tap in a Dimple.

So...when I posted this question I had already riveted the counter balance skin onto the rib...

would it be possible to add doubler (with dimples) and secure the lead to that?

-----
edit,

after shortly thinking it over, im just going to replace the rib, weight and skin. There are a few small mistakes all around on these parts so ill just redo it.

as always thanks for the all the help

Last edited:
Check Vans Airforce

If you run into a head scratcher, search the forums before you attempt to perform the work. The forums are loaded with really good tips and work-a-rounds (like the homemade dimple mentioned above). You will save $$ and a ton of grief.

Find a few good construction logs and reference them as you work. They have saved my tookas a few times, even then I have had my share of redo's

Back