What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

car shop painting an RV

david.perl

Well Known Member
Can a car shop that does good work on cars paint an RV to a good standard?

Ive had quotes that vary widely for painting my 7A. 2 aircraft shops want in excess of $12,000 whilst a couple of car shops, one with experience of painting RV's are coming in at half the price.

Anyone got some experience of car shop paint jobs?

IMHO it doesn?t make any difference where it is painted. Have had experience with both. What matters is the experience level, quality of prep and application by the shop. We all have seen both great work and very poor work come out of either type of shop. Look at some previous work performed by any shop and talk to the owners and feel good about your choice before handing over money. Please remember that although price is important you will be looking at this paint job for a long time. Regards, Larry

Make sure that your painter has an understanding of the significance of the word "heavy" as related to aircraft.

On a car, an extra coat or two to improve the shine a bit means nothing. On an aircraft, where most of the surface area is behind the C/G it means a lot...

You mean like this....

First pic is how mine looked the day I lifted the tailwheel onto my 4 wheeler and drug it backwards to my friends Auto paint shop. I spent the better part of a month working down there to prep everything, while he had a busy working shop doing auto painting

this next series was from primer to clear coat in <3 days.

so yes Auto shop painting works just fine. Experience and prep is the key. And against all odds....We even mixed paint brands.

OK but make sure they understand the differences between an aircraft and a car. There are several;

- paint is heavy and the enemy of airplanes.

- if you use a base/clear system, two thin coats of clear is enough. Requires lots of additional work but three or four coats is way too heavy!

- airplanes are fragile and sensitive, be careful.

- if they damage, bend, or dent anything, stop and let me know! You can't just fill in a dent with Bondo to hide it and repairs are really expensive!

- it's not necessary to hide everything like rivets, so please don't apply a bunch of fillers.

- we have lots of funny holes, probes, antennas, etc. cars don't have any of those!

I would use a auto paint shop as long as they understand the above, do great work, and you trust them. Even better if the owner is a pilot!

I can't stress enough the importance of weight. I once certificated 2 RV-10s that were built in the same shop at the same time. Both aircraft had identical engines, props, panels, etc. They were identical in every way except one was painted by the builder and the other was painted by an auto shop. Before paint, they weighed the same. After paint one weighed 20+ lbs. more than the other. Care to guess which one was heavier?

My 9A was painted by a "car guy," and I couldn't be happier. Cost was about half, and the entire job came in at 21 pounds for paint and prep stuff. BG--this fellow had painted aluminum before, control surfaces, etc, for our local aircraft shop, so he knew about weight. He hadn't, however, started with bare metal! He did his homework on prep, and followed the book. That was in '06, and the plane still looks great. It is one step, not clear coated, BTW.

IMHO, the car painter started out with a great set of skills that I didn't have. He just needed to know the "ground rules" of aircraft painting. I believe he did a better job than I could have done, and added less weight to the airframe than I probably would have. Put me in the car shop corner, with those reservations. BTW, our paint shop also does cars and RVs (the 4-wheel kind) from time to time. They even painted our brand-new snow-thrower tractor that had a great paint job straight from the factory. The FAA said it had to be yellow...

Bob

This is a comprehensive thread about painting my RV12 at a car shop that had not painted a plane or aluminum before. Came out great! If I was doing it over I would consider vinyl. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=67760
Great write-up and result! Clearly you put the necessary time into researching and planning the job so that you could work with experienced non-aviation painters to get a great final job.

After reading the thread, I'd make 2 comments:

Use what your painter (or paint supplier) recommends just as Bill H did here. Any shop builds up experience with certain brands and processes. Do your research but come in prepared to take their advice and avoid stuff they've never done before. Bringing in an airplane is enough of a novelty. Agreeing on Imron non-aviation paint is a good example. The aviation products are designed for holding up at jet speeds through ice pellets... our flying is a bit less demanding, more like a high performance car.

If so inclined, don't be afraid to do the job yourself, it's not that tough. Afterall, you've already built a plane! I too was afraid of the actual spraying and was looking to take the same approach taken here. I had a neighbor who owned a paint shop (RVs, boats, trucks) who could have done it but I picked their brains instead. I did the same research and prep work done here. I found a paint supplier and got a lot of help there. But I had the space to setup a booth and the inclination to 'finish the job' so I did it. SECRET: spraying, with the right equipment, is the easy part. It's the prep work that's the hard work. Especially if you go the route of painting it white and using vinyl trim. White is easy, metal flake Autumn Sunburst is a bit more challenging.​

Here's my Kitlog doc of the experience: RV10 Paint Experience
It is surely not as nice as the '12 here but it is good enough.

As strange as it may sound, I have to say that painting was the most rewarding part of the build. The Vans kits are so highly evolved at this point that the outcome need never be in doubt.. but the painting is still 'optional'and not part of the kit.

Last note: whether you assist or DIY, the chemistry involved is TOXIC. Don't play around. The industry and the paint shops are full of mentally impaired people suffering from exposure to polyurethanes. It's kind of shocking when realize what you are seeing. Some shops are still pretty cavalier about the stuff. You need a fresh air breather to use the stuff or even observe its application.

Back