What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much distance do I need for final?

John Courte

Well Known Member
OK, here's my issue: I'm about to fly out of KOXR for the first time. My phase one op lims include no flight over densely populated areas, which happen to start about 700' east of Runway 25, at Ventura Rd, which runs N/S.

What this means is that when I make right traffic for RWY 25, I need to turn base before Ventura Rd, AND I need to be cleared to land before downwind mid field because extending downwind past ~700' east of the runway is going to bust my limits.

How do I set up the approach for this? I can only think of a couple of options,

1. It's almost a 6000' runway. Do I pretend it's only 2000' and plan on landing mid field or later? I just don't know if I'll eat up too much runway on final.

2. Do I cut the throttle at 45 degrees to the first intersection (about 1500' from the end of the runway), do a slipping, turning descent from downwind and maybe land somewhere before the first intersection, similar to the power-off approaches I've been learning in a Citabria? This option I like less. Training with Mike S. showed me that an RV7 with a CS prop drops really fast and doesn't give a very big window in which to level out and flare. I need a bigger window, since I'm still a newb, so carrying power is preferable.

The Google Maps satellite photo is a few years out of date. The displaced threshold is only about two of those white arrows long now, as of 2011.

I have gotten half decent at landing an RV6A at this airport, but I've not practiced many short approaches here, and I haven't flow a taildragger RV since training with Mike. But I'm confident I can land the airplane, I just need to know what spot I'm supposed to hit.

Maybe it's simple math: at 85mph, how much ground will I cover at a 500-700fpm sink rate from 1000' to the deck, and will that leave me enough runway to land on if I initiate descent from my cutoff point of 700' east of the runway threshold?

Also, is there an accepted procedure for bailing out of the pattern if I'm unable to comply with ATC's directive to extend downwind?

The scenario is that if ATC can't clear me to land by mid-field and can't have me do 360's because of traffic, I need to be able to turn left and go north before doing so will put me over houses.

That said, ATC at OXR is used to this. If they know I'm in phase one, they'll do their best to keep me from going off the res, but I can't really count on that, and since it's my responsibility one way or the other, I would like to have options.

Sure, maybe the best thing would have been to pick a different airport, but I didn't have a lot of choice in the matter and I really like Oxnard, everybody there is really cool and the scenery is amazing.

I would suggest you might be overthinking the flight. Do your best to make a safe judgement call with the wind that day. Concentrate on the runway, less on who lives near the airport. And have FUN!

Like Flightlogic intimates: Do what is right and safest for YOU and your plane. You don't need to be concerned with anything other than focusing on your bird and making that first flight safely. The rest can go ....you know where.

Last edited:
I'll bet that the folks in the tower would be happy to have you go on up and discuss it with them.

But in any event, the main thing is to keep it safe.

Dave

Speed

If you used 85 mph for your calculation because that is your approach speed, you will use way more runway than I do. I use 70mph on final and often bring it back to 65 mph over the fence. Practice bring your speed down and you will find you can land quite short. As others stated, keep it safe while doing it.

I'd argue that "flight" and "landing" are two different things with regards to "densely populated areas".

Fly a safe pattern- no matter what it takes.

Just finished my Phase 1 there

John,
It's not an issue. Give me a call if you want the vspeeds and references I used for my phase one flts.
RWY 25 Rt hand pattern.
Just make sure you announce phase 1 and the tower will turn you out towards the river bed instead of extending your downwind for traffic.

Get your money's worth

Suggest you confer with your inspector on the intent and practical application o your OpLims. If you used a FSDO, you paid for the service indirectly; if a DAR the payment was direct.

As others noted, everyone wants you 1) to be safe, and 2) to be successful... in that order.

Finally, it's your flight test period; you have lots of choice in where you do it... even if you have to start with a new Phase 1.

Back