VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-01-2005, 01:27 PM

Default RV-7A with GM's LS1 V8

In the September 2004 issue of Custom Planes magazine there is an article about putting Chevy's LS1 V8 in a RV-7A. The company doing this is Predator Aviation out of Peoria Arizona. I checked out their web site shortly after reading the article last year, but now they seem to have dropped off the faced of the earth. Anybody have any info about this? Or is anybody aware of other companies working with the LS1 engine for the RV?

Thanks,

Jim Reno
Old 04-01-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Ls1 V8

I had a website address for Predator Aviation but it doesn't seem to work now. The guy had moved from Arizona to Idaho and was working on an RV-10 to put the Chevy in. Haven't looked at his site in a while, and now it doesn't work.

Another website you might look at is Vestav8.com. Jason Day is offering a LS-1 package that looks very interesting. Check it out.

Bill Gipson
RV-10
N730WL
Fuselage
Old 04-02-2005, 12:44 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Jim
Old 04-02-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Sport aviation LS1 article

There was an article in the EAA magazine in last three months with a LS1 installation in a homebuilt (not a RV). The installation I believe was home grown and it was flown, including a x-country trip to Oshkosh. As far as the LS1, I saw a show on how to rebuild a LS1. Knowing small block Chevys, the LS1 is a completely different. Belted air company has info on engine auto-aircraft conversions. Their reduction works on V6 and V8 engines. They have flown some RV conversions: www.beltedair.com

Another company that has some info for V8 conversions using a ZZ4 engine:
http://www.team-38.com/engine_faq.ht...overall%20cost

I am not a big fan of engine conversions myself but respect those who pioneer. Check out the thread in this forum on "Are you ready to be a test pilot". Some real good insight on auto engines.

Good Luck, George

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 04-28-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:57 PM

Great info, Thanks!
Old 03-27-2006, 09:29 PM

Default chevy small block--sorry no info

Old 03-28-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Reno
In the September 2004 issue of Custom Planes magazine there is an article about putting Chevy's LS1 V8 in a RV-7A. The company doing this is Predator Aviation out of Peoria Arizona. I checked out their web site shortly after reading the article last year, but now they seem to have dropped off the faced of the earth. Anybody have any info about this? Or is anybody aware of other companies working with the LS1 engine for the RV?

Thanks,

Jim Reno
Jim, while I like the construction of the LS1 as a possible alternate engine source, it seems like just too large a package for a RV-7 without a wildly exaggerated cowling. Radiator location would be tough too. You would have to do a belly scoop or exposed radiator to handle the power of the LS1. While it may have been done I think it would be a packaging nightmare. The RV-10 is bigger and might have better chance of it fitting decently.
This ignores the fact that if you use reduction and get anywhere near the rated HP you are 50% over Vans recomended maximum for an RV-7! If you are set on fitting a 'V' engine in a RV a V6 is a better fit for the 2 place aircraft.
Bill Jepson
Old 03-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Stallion?

Mark, you say "no info", not sure if you are refering to the engine only, or the a/c also---------anyway, it looks like a Martin Holliman design called a Stallion.

I have seen the engine package at Oshkosh, and sun-n-fun, but cant remember the company name, however as I recall they were targeting the Lanceair 4 crowd.

Mike
Old 03-30-2006, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S
Mark, you say "no info", not sure if you are refering to the engine only, or the a/c also---------anyway, it looks like a Martin Holliman design called a Stallion.

I have seen the engine package at Oshkosh, and sun-n-fun, but cant remember the company name, however as I recall they were targeting the Lanceair 4 crowd.

Mike
Mike,
I believe that was "Engine Air" and I believe they were in Georgia. They had some initial good results, but then had some problem mass producing their PSRU. I don't know if anyone was left hanging when they closed their doors but it seems likely. They were refusing to go to the LS-1 at first. Don't remember the reasoning. They seemed like they bit off more than they could deliver. The package was even supposed to include automotive style air conditioning! One of their packages in a Lancair 4 was second in the air race to OSH one year behind Hoot Gibson in a Sea Fury.
Bill Jepson
Old 12-05-2015, 06:48 PM

I ran across this RV-7A today at KLGB. Did a double take. Decals on the side say 400HP - Airconditioned! The dataplate listed the engine as an LS-1.

A search of VAF brought up this thread so for posterity I'll add these photos.

Looks like it has been sitting outside for a while, so maybe it is no longer flying.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2018 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor