What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Map file help please.

AndyRV7

Well Known Member
Sorry for the newb question but I am trying to update the GRT Sport and G3X I have in my new plane. It's just not clear to me what options I have for moving map subscriptions that could be run by these units. I don't mind paying for a subscription. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks. Andy :eek:

Sorry for the newb question but I am trying to update the GRT Sport and G3X I have in my new plane. It's just not clear to me what options I have for moving map subscriptions that could be run by these units. I don't mind paying for a subscription. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks. Andy :eek:

Maps are provided by the EFIS vendor. You need to contact them.

As a new poster you are forgiven for re-starting 'subscription wars'!
GRT (Sport) databases are free. Download them from their web site onto a USB memory stick, install.
Garmin will charge you for a G3X database.

Oops!

OK, I tried to update them from the websites this weekend but could only get the G3X to update its software. I'll go have another look. Thanks!

For the Sport, go to grtavionics.com, click on support, click on software, click on navigation, click on navigation database and download it, transfer to memory stick. There are instructions on this same web page.

G3X Database updates

For the G3X, you will need to go to www.flygarmin.com and set up an account for your aircraft. While there are many database package options there are two options for US customers that will likely be all you want for VFR flight. The US Mini Database Bundle costs $49.99 per year and includes US VFR Navigation Data, Terrain, Obstacles, and SafeTaxi databases. If you have the G3X Touch, you may want the US Lite Database Bundle for $149.99 per year which includes US VFR Navigation, Obstacles, FliteCharts, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, IFR/VFR Charts, and Terrain databases.

If you have questions, you can always email Garmin at [email protected]

Thanks Levi. I will try that as well.

I was able to get the NAV and AHRS updated sucessfully in the GRT but it doesn't seem to recognize the system file (SSXUp.dat). One other issue I am having that I can't seem to find in the setup menus anywhere is the colors on the moving map. Virtually everything on the ground is brown. I've got some small water bodies like lakes and maybe even the intercoastal I fly over, but it does not distinguish the ocean at all. It is brown and featureless. I am going to give GRT a call Tuesday.

Thanks for the help. Andy

Back