What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel lines to wings

DMFenster

Well Known Member
I am working on the fuel lines to the wings on my 8 and had a thought. Has anyone terminated the fuse fuel lines at the skins with a bulkhead fitting and then made up a short line from the fuse skins to the tanks? I am just head scratching to the time when I fit the wings and having to accurately cut/flare the stubs that come through the grommets. It'll add a couple of potential leak points and I'll have to reduce the size of the grommet hole in the skins, I know.

Thoughts?

Dave

The plans give the distance to work on between fuselage and wing AN fitting. The layout of the pipes thereafter allows some flex / wriggle room.

Suggest you cut as per plans, maybe slightly generously - reassess when you fit wings for the 1st time (protect the wing fitting), and flare etc. with wings off.

I followed the plans also. When i fit the wings we will see if they Are close enough to work with. With the soft al and the double bends I am hoping to be able to adjust enough to get a good fit.

Bird

I did mine as stated in the plans. We put the wings on yesterday and the fuel lines matched up very nicely.

Just as a point of reference, I made new hardlines out of 5052 and relocated the fuel selector on a flying airplane without much difficulty. If you decide to go with bulkhead fittings you will loose a bunch of real estate in a pretty tight area, and that may end up being more work in the end.

Ditto

I fashioned the tubing sections that pass through the grommets while doing the initial wing fit. It was quite straight forward producing two tubing sections, connecting the left tank directly to the selector valve, and on the right connecting to an AN union beneath the right mid cabin cover. I put the grommets on the tubing sections, flared them and checked the fit before storing them away. At final assembly the tank connections took all of five minutes.

I have installed inline fuel filters in this area on a couple planes. This involved a 90 degree bulkhead fitting thru the side fuselage with 2 short lines (one U shaped) to plumb in the filter (Earl race cartridge type filter). Filter & lines stabilized with an Adel clamp. Only down side to installation is servicing the filters requires draining the tanks.

Which drawing depicts this dimension? Somehow I've managed to miss it all this time
DWG 82 (for -1 fus) on the Injected diagram (Carb diagram omits it). Says "leave 3 1/4" sticking out...

Back