What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED selection

jay.pearlman

Well Known Member
I want to have the headlights in the wingtips. I was going to use the bulbs vans supplies but have decided on LEDs. The question is which on? I have a wig-wag unit from B&C and want wig-wag for collision avoidance. I will be flying from lighted airports at night and so taxi is as important as landing. Probably need something at 2.5" by 3.5" with some depth tbd. Here is what I see in the market:
Rigid/Plane lights automotive adaptation 16 watts 25-30 degree angle
Whelen 71125 series 20 degrees
AeroLEDs microsun or sunlite 30 degrees
I hear comments on lumens and candelas. I believe one in integrated light output and the second is intensity and area.
Does anyone have experience with any of these? are there any others?

I have two Aeroleds sunlite's one in each leading edge. They put out enough light to land by, but they don't make a lot of light. I knew that going in and am fine with it. The price was right and I seldom land after dark. I wanted them more for the wigwag feature than night landings. They have other better options if you need more light.

Who is the LED supplier in Seattle

Please, Who is the guy who sells LED lights for our experiemental aircraft that shows at the Arlington EAA fly in and the Puyallup Aviation Show. He and his wife often staff the booth.

Thanks

By "head lights", I assume you are talking about landing lights and not position lights.

With that in mind, I went with the in-the-wing Duckworth 100W halogen bulbs. There were two reasons for this selection, the replacement bulbs are cheap and available at my local auto parts store. (I just replaced one after 400 hours and it cost me less than $4.)

The other thing was that I know that lighting technology is moving fast, very fast. Eventually someone will come out with some good and inexpensive LED lights. When that happens, I'll replace the halogen bulbs and reflectors as the Duckworth setup lends itself to such changes.

Until then, I am very happy with the two lights as they can light up the end of the runway from 400 feet.

As for the wig-wag thing, I didn?t install it because it has been my experience that unless you are looking right down the hole in the wing, you aren?t going to see lights anyway. That might not be the case if the landing lights are mounted out on the wing tips.

Thanks Grayforge
Yes Thanks, I think this might be the guy. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
wingtips it is

Good questions on the lights. I will be putting landing lights and position lights in the wing tip. The harder challenge for the LEDs is the landing lights and so I am focused on those. The nav lights I bought a long time ago are whelen and I am not likely to fly enough at night to make a new investment. Since I want to keep the landing lights on all the time, it is a different story. The angle of some of the LEDs is 30 degrees - which means the light is emitted at least over that angle. With the lights in the wing tips, I should get 50 to 60 degree coverage and that is enough to be interesting. I will try it out shortly in the garage.

Back