What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flashlight for the cockpit: Red or Green LEDs?

the_other_dougreeves

Well Known Member
Ok, I will admit some confusion. I need to buy a flashlight for the airplane and want to have one that has both a nice white light and colored LEDs that are night vision friendly.

The Streamlight NightCom looks to be a good candidate. It has a single VERY bright white LED, two bright colored LEDs and one dim colored LED with a 4-way switch: OFF-WHITE-BRIGHT COLOR-DIM COLOR. $35, a decent price. The only down side is the CR123 lithium batteries that are about $1.25 each - on the up side, the shelf life is excellent. Note that this light has recently been improved and now uses a LED for the bright white light instead of a plain bulb.

So, my question is: red or green? The light is available with either red or green LEDs. Red is the "gold standard" for preserving night vision, but I understand that it's hard to read charts, particularly IFR en-route charts with red light. Hence the question about green.

What say you?

TODR

Mainly for NVGs

The main reason that military aircraft have switched to green cockpit lights and flashlights is because of the night vision goggles (NVG). Aviation NVGs have a filter that blocks out a certain wavelength of light (blue-green). That allows the cockpit lights to be turned up bright while not gaining down the NVGs. This works so well that the green cockpit lights are nearly invisible through the NVGs. Personally, I think it is easier to read instruments and charts under the green light but it hurts your night vision more than the red. One more thing. The military green lights emit a very specific wavelength. Most other green lights are not NVIS compatible. I'm mentioning this because when you read a military report on NVIS compatible lighting it is not necessarily the same green as your flashlight.

I like green

because its easier to see with and also under red light, any magenta (or red) colors will virtually disappear. This includes all the airport markings, etc on Sectional Charts. Borrow a red and green light and try both.

Thanks to my Son's idea; I converted a AAA Maglight to green LED using a cheap pack of assorted LEDs from Radio Shack. You have to slightly enlarge the bulb hole with a drill and shorten the leads, but it gives off a nice glow that is perfect for reading maps, etc. I also have another AAA std white Maglight in the event I need full lighting.

The AAA size are handy in that you can attach a shoelace loop and leave it hang out of your pocket if needed. If you need it, a AAA can be held in your mouth, allowing you to see wherever your head turns (Yes, I have had a full panel lighting go out at night... one more reason to go glass cockpit on the -8

Ok, I will admit some confusion. I need to buy a flashlight for the airplane and want to have one that has both a nice white light and colored LEDs that are night vision friendly.

The Streamlight NightCom looks to be a good candidate. It has a single VERY bright white LED, two bright colored LEDs and one dim colored LED with a 4-way switch: OFF-WHITE-BRIGHT COLOR-DIM COLOR. $35, a decent price. The only down side is the CR123 lithium batteries that are about $1.25 each - on the up side, the shelf life is excellent. Note that this light has recently been improved and now uses a LED for the bright white light instead of a plain bulb.

So, my question is: red or green? The light is available with either red or green LEDs. Red is the "gold standard" for preserving night vision, but I understand that it's hard to read charts, particularly IFR en-route charts with red light. Hence the question about green.

What say you?

TODR

i have this light, i have to tap it to make it come on, it doesnt seem to be nearly a good a a 20$ mag light. when it works properly its great. i wouldnt trust the one i have enough to include it in my flight bag. i bought this in a special here about a year ago. i feel the rotary switch is the weak link.

i have this light, i have to tap it to make it come on, it doesnt seem to be nearly a good a a 20$ mag light. when it works properly its great. i wouldnt trust the one i have enough to include it in my flight bag. i bought this in a special here about a year ago. i feel the rotary switch is the weak link.
Good to know. Streamlight does have a lifetime warranty, seems like they might fix that for you. You would have to pay for shipping, etc, but it might get fixed...

TODR

TODR,

I have written about this before - try a little Petzl Zipca headlamp. Flashlights are a pain - you have to hold them in your hand, or your mouth - either way, the are partially incapacitating. you can get it with multiple colored lenses, so you can pick if you want white, green, or red color, based on what works for you. I wear mine ABOVE my hat's visor, and get no light in my eyes, but light everywhere I need it. Makes almost every light in my cockpit obsolete. perfect for preflighting because your hands are free. And, the "band" is a narrow, spring-retracted string. The thing is smaller than an egg, and fits in your pocket.

I OWN tons of flashlights - I usually USE my Zipca.....

Paul

headset light

I bought a light that attaches to the headset mic a few years ago at Osh. I was currently flying a Cherokee 140 with hardly any panel light. The light is a red LED and bright enough to light up an area where you point it. I think the company is still in business but I haven't seen them.

TODR,

I have written about this before - try a little Petzl Zipca headlamp.
I have / use a Tikka, which is basically the same light with a headband (the Zipca uses a string). Red light filter. I also want to have something that the right seater can use that's also bright enough for pre-flight.

TODR

TODR,

I have written about this before - try a little Petzl Zipca headlamp. Flashlights are a pain - you have to hold them in your hand, or your mouth - either way, the are partially incapacitating. you can get it with multiple colored lenses, so you can pick if you want white, green, or red color, based on what works for you. I wear mine ABOVE my hat's visor, and get no light in my eyes, but light everywhere I need it. Makes almost every light in my cockpit obsolete. perfect for preflighting because your hands are free. And, the "band" is a narrow, spring-retracted string. The thing is smaller than an egg, and fits in your pocket.

I OWN tons of flashlights - I usually USE my Zipca.....

Paul

+1

I've had a Zipca in my climbing pack for years. It weighs nothing and the batteries last a long time. And when you need to repel and hike out after dark, it is great. You just slip it around your forehead. I've been looking for the red lens though. I had to tape some red model airplane film over it for night flying though because it was all I had handy.

I have a mini mag in my pilot bag (with the red lens). I put a mason cord lanyard on it that is just big enough to slip over my head and a little more. I like to leave it on and just grab it and check the gauges that don't have back light. It also points at my lap (kneeboard and chart) when it is just hanging around my neck. But as soon as I find a permant lens replacement for my Zipca, that will be the way to go for the panel view anyway.

Having said all that, I had been looking for a multicolor light for my bag too, and got frustrated with the limitations of all the ones I found. So I am going to go with a large Mag light (or similar, for preflight), and then use the Zipca in the plane with the red lens. I'm not sure there is a perfect combo light!!

Just some thoughts.:)

Back