What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight of RV-7A N781CM !!

Mark Burns

Well Known Member
Saturday 10-25-08 I taxied into position and held on runway 34 at Farmerville Louisiana (F87). I thought about the fact that I had built this airplane in my garage (slow build) over the past 3-1/2 years including overhauling the engine! Then I remember saying to myself "Well, here we go!!"

The first flight went real well other than me taking off with full flaps!!
MY friend Zack suggested my call sign be "flaps". I guess that's better than "stupid".

It took me a minute or so to figure out why my 7A felt so much different than the 7A I had been given instruction in just an hour earlier by Glen Barron. I looked out at the wing. OMG!! Get those flaps up!! My flaps have now been tested to 130mph.:eek:

The chase plane had been trying to tell me my flaps were down all along.
I had the radio volume turned down too low:eek: I got that figured out once I had the flaps up and the airplane flying well.

So, after the two really dumb events in the first minute or two it all turned to gold!! What an airplane! I know you hear it all the time... but keep pounding those rivets!!!!

And I squeaked the landing:D

I flew it twice Saturday and twice today. The longest flight so far has been one hour. I also flew to KRSN 20 miles away today. That felt great.

I can't thank Doug (VAF), and its members enough for all the help along the way. I can't describe in words how I feel !!

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Check List, Check List, Check List, Check List, Check List !!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on your first flight.

Congratulations Mark!

You'd be amazed at how many mistakes people make on their first flights - and I mean really SIMPLE mistakes. Rarely do they lead to damage or issues, but they kick themselves for them for years. I think they serve to remind everyone that they have to be extra careful during Phase I - so you learn from it, and enjoy the new plane!

Paul

Nice Job

Well, most first flights are very memorable. You have more to talk about.

Good job.

Congrats, Mark!!

Congratulations, Mark! Your paint sure looks nice and it sure is good to see it flying. I am sure you will enjoy many years with it. I got my instrument checkride from Mr. Baron about 20 years ago, just before moving to SC!!

Congrats from Lafayette

Way to go Mark,
I like the paint job. I am hopefully going to be in the air before the end of the year. It always takes longer than you think.

Looking forward to meeting you at a the fly in's around Louisiana. Be careful
and have fun flying off the 40/25 hours.

S Anderson
Lafayette, La.
RV 7A

looking good mark...congrats on the first flight.

i just cant make that pace. man i got to get to work.:eek: geez.

Congratulations, Mark. Your plane looks great! You could also say, "Keep SQUEEZING those rivets!!!" ;)

Don
(I bought his pneumatic squeezer...)

GREAT

Sweet looking ride!

I'd stay away from pensacola, or my student may get confused with you being lead and join up on you! :):D:):D

Gary Bricker

Congrats, Looks like lots of RV's in La. When is the next "mud bug boil." Lot of folks from TX could come over. I was in Mandeville for 9 yrs. Miss the great food.

Thanks everyone

Sweet looking ride!

I'd stay away from pensacola, or my student may get confused with you being lead and join up on you! :):D:):D

That's one of the first places on my "list" :D
I've never been to the Naval Aviation Museum. I hear it's great.

Glad you like the paint scheme.

Gary,
Our chapter (836) has a crawfish boil every spring at Farmerville (F87).
A couple of the guys are from down south and can really cook!!

There are 5 RV's on the field at Farmerville now. One 8, one 8A, two 7A's and a 10.
A lot of the reason they are at Farmerville is because they like to be around the North Louisiana RV guru Glen Barron. What a guy! He has taught me so much about flying, and in just a few flights.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I'm still on cloud nine!

Mark

Last edited:
Back