Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-20-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Why would you pull off power for that descent? Just keep the throttle in, trim nose down, keep it lean, reduce throttle as you hit 75% and enjoy the speed!

At least that’s how I fly long descents.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post
Ditto - we pay enough for the climb, why not enjoy the need for speed on the way back down ?

And we are now frugal Seniors - eh Paul
With Van's redefining Vne in terms of TAS, my RV-8 with a YIO-360-M1B will exceed its Vne of 230 MPH TAS if I don't bring back the power in a descent. Van's (possibly conservative) redefinition of Vne in terms of a constant TAS value at all altitudes, limits the RV-8's downhill performance.

Note where Redline is (in terms of MPH IAS) in the screenshots below, at much less than 75% power.

400 FPM descent at 9800':

600 FPM descent at 16,120':

Sorry for the thread drift!
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 09-20-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
With Van's redefining Vne in terms of TAS, my RV-8 with a YIO-360-M1B will exceed its Vne of 230 MPH TAS if I don't bring back the power in a descent. Van's (possibly conservative) redefinition of Vne in terms of a constant TAS value at all altitudes, limits the RV-8's downhill performance.

Yeah, that's kind of what I experienced. TAS VNE really easy to bust... No complaints. Just need to manage it...and descend earlier...
RV9a - flying
Old 09-21-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer228 View Post
Cool..

Okay follow up questions - Do you find yourself doing anything a little more cautiously? Making sure you don't shock cool? Make sure you've get the CHT's in the "green" before take off??

Also, from what I understand the failure mechanism (if there is one) isn't necessarily catastrophic engine failure but, separation of the head from the cylinder and subsequent partial loss of power. Right?

As you could likely guess, I have purchase a 9a with the ECI Group B cylinders/heads. < Correction - I have Group A >

Thanks for sharing your info...
Wrong..... it will still produce enough power to keep the aircraft in the air. BUT the aircraft will shake violently enough that you will want to get on the ground ASAP. You will need to reduce power to avoid tearing then motor from it's mounts.
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 09-21-2018, 12:26 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post

Note where Redline is (in terms of MPH IAS) in the screenshots below, at much less than 75% power.

400 FPM descent at 9800':

600 FPM descent at 16,120':

Of course you have to observe all operating limits -but you descend at speed, throttling back just enough to observe Those limits, and get a nice fast ride downhill - you don’t have to pull all the power off to where you’re worried about cooling in order to lose 10,000’ in 60 miles....
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 09-21-2018, 02:33 PM

Default Prop driving engine

Lycoming rep advised me to keep manifold pressure at 18" or above to prevent prop from driving engine. I used to think it was around 15" min but not so. Prop driving engine is not good. Constant speed prop really helps with the need to loose altitude while maintaining proper manifold pressure.

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
C-140 In a barn
Maule MXT-7 Sold
RV-6a Sold
Twin Comanche - Sold
RV-9 IO-360 CS, Built and Flying
J3-65 Cub - low and slow stuff
Comanche 260 - poor mans RV-10
Old 09-21-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbat View Post
Lycoming rep advised me to keep manifold pressure at 18" or above to prevent prop from driving engine. I used to think it was around 15" min but not so. Prop driving engine is not good.
Why not? Isn’t this essentially what happens every time we descend with a constant speed prop?

Erich