VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-20-2018, 05:30 AM

I'll also admit to not having read all the posts here, so caveats if I duplicate something.
I spent prob 4yrs looking and watching before I pulled the trigger. In the end, I realized that at this point, all the EFIS' are converging fast to one set of standard capabilities (APs, maps, synthetic, HITS etc) IOW, they all do the same things now, just implemented slightly differently, so no matter what you choose, you'll never find yourself wishing it could do something your hangar mate's does.

With that said, just go play with the boxes and see which appeals aesthetically to you the best - buttons, knobs, glare, touch, readability, configurability etc. And then get on with the learning curve of your chosen box.

You really cant go wrong with anyone of them anymore.
N251Y (res)
Dec2017
Old 06-20-2018, 10:03 AM

The best advise is to paint the picture of what you ultimately want and then build towards that. If you give me a call sometime I can talk about the benefits and drawbacks of the different options, and here are many many options as you have said. Some things to consider in the decision process:

1. Buy based on what is shipping now, never on promised features or “shipping soon” products. Until you can get it, you can’t get it.
2. Buy from a single source if possible so they can confirm to you that everything will play nicely together. There are benefits and drawbacks to a “piece meal” panel.
3. Buy based on the single source knowing the products well so they can priovide the first level of support, then based not only on the quality of support, but the accessibility of support. For example, there is one mentioned vendor who has great support if you can actually get a chance to talk to the guy who knows what he is talking about, but it is very hard to get that guy on the phone.
4. Plan to get as much of the final wiring as possible to start with, so you don’t have to tear into the harnesses every time you add a component.
5. Plan to cut the panel for the end product and make coverplates for unused holes in the beginning.
6. If you can afford to do it all now, that is the cheapest and best way to go.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:29 AM

Jeff, there is also another route. Fly the heck out of your rv this summer. Then Sell the 6 for $50K+ or so. Then look for a nice ifr ready to go rv. Just some food for thought.
What is the final cost of your dream panel going to cost anyway?
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player
Old 06-20-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniago View Post
In the end, I realized that at this point, all the EFIS' are converging fast to one set of standard capabilities (APs, maps, synthetic, HITS etc) IOW, they all do the same things now, just implemented slightly differently, so no matter what you choose, you'll never find yourself wishing it could do something your hangar mate's does.

You really cant go wrong with anyone of them anymore.
I have a different opinion.
First, for VFR, it doesn’t matter. But for IFR:
The built in autopilots are not all the same. For external autopilots (Trio, TruTrak), some boxes are better than others at interfacing with them.
The failure modes are different. (What happens if the pitot is hit by a bug? Do the boxes attempt to auto-detect failures, or leave that to the pilot? And which is better?) Is it best to have one brand of boxes, all tied together; or different brands, as isolated as possible?
Different companies answer these questions differently. You need to educate yourself so that you aren’t surprised if something does go wrong.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:41 PM

This thread and it’s resulting posts /PMs is a,perfect example of what I mean how could so many people (in the know) come to so many different conclusions.

Seriously though it s more complex issue than most realize I think.
I’ve had PMs from those who say nothing but garmin don’t even think about it, and those who say anything but garmin, stay with those who support experimentals.

To turbo eddies, just sell it, idea.

Wait isn’t turbo the guy who kept his (ONE) plane the longest through all kinds of changes ?

For a self professed Newbie, this is enough to make you crazy or just not change anything at least. 😳

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:35 PM

The bundle discount on the GTN 625 navigator when bought with a G3X sold me on the Garmin system for IFR. It sells for $8100 normally and with the bundle is discounted to $5700.

Truest words of the whole post: “The bottom line is, of course, that if God had intended man to fly, He would have given him a great deal more money.”
Old 07-01-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzRX7 View Post
The bundle discount on the GTN 625 navigator when bought with a G3X sold me on the Garmin system for IFR. It sells for $8100 normally and with the bundle is discounted to $5700.

Truest words of the whole post: “The bottom line is, of course, that if God had intended man to fly, He would have given him a great deal more money.”
Where did you get this deal? I didn't see that anywhere. The difference in the 625 and 650 is simply the com? Haven't looking into the 625 at all.

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:40 PM

The 650 is a GPS/NAV/COM. The 625 is a GPS (no NAV or COM).
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
My advice is don't be in a rush to be an early adopter. Let others work out the hardware/software bugs, and wait for a more mature, improved product.
This is very, very good advice, in my experience.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:36 PM

So was looking at the uavionixs beacon ADSB out only solution, and loving it until I saw THIS https://uavionix.com/products/skyecho/

**** EU why don’t we have this here??

Not to mention the garmin fiasco with them.