Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-31-2018, 02:14 PM

Default Removing Steam Back-up?

Hi All,

Would like to get everyone's thought on removing steam gauges all together?

I am installing a g3x system 2x7 inch screens and a G5 and would like to see if it's worth it to keep the steam or just use the G5 as back-up.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Old 07-31-2018, 02:49 PM

I am using a G5 as a primary on my Cozy3 so I cannot imagine the need for an additional backup to that one (provided you have the battery for the G5)
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 07-31-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control View Post
I am using a G5 as a primary on my Cozy3 so I cannot imagine the need for an additional backup to that one (provided you have the battery for the G5)
I presume the OP is contemplating IFR operation, where it is prudent to ask what you will do if something suddenly rolls over and dies (or worse - very slowly rolls over and dies).

If your existing gyros are vacuum powered, Iíd ditch them. May do more harm than good to have backups that are less reliable than the primary.

I presume the G5 has its own battery.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:32 PM

On new panels I add an analog airspeed instrument. Not as a backup, but as my preferred airspeed indication for take off and landing. On my first glass panel I also added an analog altimeter. I donít anymore as I found I never used it.

Carl
Old 07-31-2018, 08:06 PM

Default Certified lead

Many certified glass panels will also have backup steam airspeed and altimeter gauges. Is it necessary? Maybe not if you only fly VFR and can land your plane without looking at airspeed gauge or that annoying backup altimeter.

If you ever experienced an electronic or software "glitch" that rendered your glass panel a big black hole, then you may want a backup steam gauge or two. Having experienced several experimential glass panel glitches over nasty terrain, once during the approaching evening hours, there is no question that I'll keep airspeed and altimeter steam gauges with my nice experimental glass stuff. It's amazing what runs thru a persons mind when that one pretty colorful panel goes blank........ and they do go blank .........

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
C-140 In a barn
Maule MXT-7 Sold
RV-6a Sold
Twin Comanche - Sold
RV-9 IO-360 CS, Built and Flying
J3-65 Cub - low and slow stuff
Comanche 260 - poor mans RV-10
Old 07-31-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbat View Post
Many certified glass panels will also have backup steam airspeed and altimeter gauges. Is it necessary? Maybe not if you only fly VFR and can land your plane without looking at airspeed gauge or that annoying backup altimeter.

If you ever experienced an electronic or software "glitch" that rendered your glass panel a big black hole, then you may want a backup steam gauge or two. Having experienced several experimential glass panel glitches over nasty terrain, once during the approaching evening hours, there is no question that I'll keep airspeed and altimeter steam gauges with my nice experimental glass stuff. It's amazing what runs thru a persons mind when that one pretty colorful panel goes blank........ and they do go blank .........
Alt and AS. I also had my glass go dark over hostile terrain. I find myself cross checking the steam gauges with what the glass has to say. Keeps them both honest...!
N82 Sierra Tango
Avatar courtesy of AircraftStickers.com!
Dues gladly paid thru Nov. 2018(my reminder)
Old 08-01-2018, 06:54 AM

Default +1 on AS and Alt

Also had glass go dark and I do reference the AS, also set the altimeter to the glass as part of checklist.

Personal preference I think as I fly with many people who are straight glass and a number of portables can give you GPS speed and altitude which works in a pinch.
Figs
Old 08-01-2018, 08:01 AM

Thanks Gents. I plan on making the ship IFR when funds become available for a 650. So having back-up's would make me feel better.

Thanks,
D
Old 08-01-2018, 08:05 AM

Not sure why anyone would install an AI, AS, Alt when a single self powered G5 does it all these days. Flown plenty of IFR practice approaches using just the G5 and Ipad.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 08-01-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Not sure why anyone would install an AI, AS, Alt when a single self powered G5 does it all these days. Flown plenty of IFR practice approaches using just the G5 and Ipad.
Because the AS and ALT require no power.