- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2018, 08:33 PM

Default 10599 fits

I have piston squirter engine and the 10599 oil cooler not only fits the rv-7/9 baffle, it does a fantastic job keeping the oil temp in check. Extruded alum angle across the top of baffle and on one side and so far no cracks.

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
C-140 In a barn
Maule MXT-7 Sold
RV-6a Sold
Twin Comanche - Sold
RV-9 IO-360 CS, Built and Flying
J3-65 Cub - low and slow stuff
Comanche 260 - poor mans RV-10
Old 04-30-2018, 10:17 AM

Default Convinced I need a 10599

I'm glad I started this discussion before I started surgery on my lower cowl. I'm convinced that the real solution is changing to the 10599 cooler.

I'm glad to hear from grubatt on the last post that he was able to fit a 10599 in the standard location on the left rear baffle.

I think maybe that I was trying to stick as close a possible to the Vans baffle / oil cooler plans when I installed the 8604R.

Time to start getting into the specifics of fitting and installing 10599.
RV-12 (ELSA, Dual G3X), SOLD
Highland Village,TX
Old 04-30-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Yep, that would be the smallest oil cooler in the SW/Meggit line. Given 5" H2O deltaP, air flow is only about 22 lbs per minute.

An 8432 is an inch taller, flows 27 lbs p/min, and has 25% more heat rejection. The catch is the high oil pressure deltaP; the 8432 is a dual pass unit. It means the vernatherm must seal against higher pressure at its port.

A 10599 is the same physical size as the 8432, but is single pass. Same air flow, much less oil deltaP, roughly 20% more heat rejection than the 8406.

And of course you can go up from there, but you'll probably need to duct all the larger coolers.
Is the 10599 the same as the 10599R-T? I saw a picture of one and if the pictures is correct it shows the inlet and outlet on the same side of the cooler and not built into the end tanks. Would this be the correct one to get for the -7?
Old 04-30-2018, 10:38 AM

I note that the response from grubbat in post#21 refers to the cooler fitting in an -7/9; it does not say -7A. Im not saying it wont work, just saying that the engine mount in the -7 is not the same as a -7A, so fair warning. Might be worth another check and clarification.

erich
Old 04-30-2018, 10:58 AM

I have an RV7A and successfully retrofited a Steward Warner10599 onto the rear baffle where the standard Vans oil cooler had been installed. I had climb limiting oil temp issues right from the first flight and all the way through phase one. The only thing that fixed it, after a call to Pacific Oil Coolers, was installing the 10599 and it fixed it beautifully. I had to carve away some material from the flange closest to the engine mount, to give enough clearance to allow for engine start/stop shake and made sure that the corner of the baffles by the oil cooler was appropriately reinforced to withstand the higher weight. Oil temps are great now, even on days over 100 degrees F.

Once I had solved the oil temp problems, my limiting factor was cylinder head temps and after chasing those for many hours with many different solutions, each of which had minimal effect, the anti splat cowl flaps solved them.

Jeremy Constant
RV7A "Stella Luna" ECI IO-360 WW200RV Pmags 360hrs
VAF 2018 paid plus some for those who can't
Old 04-30-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
Is the 10599 the same as the 10599R-T? I saw a picture of one and if the pictures is correct it shows the inlet and outlet on the same side of the cooler and not built into the end tanks. Would this be the correct one to get for the -7?
Mark, sorry, not familiar with a 10599 "R-T". The spec catalog I use only lists the 10599R: http://www.oilcoolers.com/LCHX_Specifications.pdf

As for "correct for a 7", I don't know. The issue is not airframe specific. The required heat exchanger capacity varies with HP, RPM, ignition advance, mixture, squirters or no squirters, upper plenum pressure, lower plenum pressure.....

Last edited by DanH : 04-30-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Mark, sorry, not familiar with a 10599 "R-T". The spec catalog I use only lists the 10599R: http://www.oilcoolers.com/LCHX_Specifications.pdf

As for "correct for a 7", I don't know. The issue is not airframe specific. The required heat exchanger capacity varies with HP, RPM, ignition advance, mixture, squirters or no squirters, upper plenum pressure, lower plenum pressure.....
Thanks Dan, Ill see what I can find out regarding the T. The -7 Im building will be equipped with a parallel valve 360, roller cam, forged 8.5:1 pistons, no squirters, EFII, cold air induction, and a S.J. cowling with a Bill Lane plenum. I dont even want to mess around with oil temperatures this time around...been there, done that...and I just want to get to best cooler possible for my application. I would like to remotely mount the cooler though with a short run of SCAT. Im hoping that I can get by with a 3 SCAT and not have to go up to a 4. Id also like to be able to control the airflow over the cooler with some kind of a flapper valve mount inline with the SCAT tubing.