What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GSU 25 Installation

SeanB

Well Known Member
I?m in the process of installing my G3X Touch System. I?m planning to install the GSU25 ADHRS on the left face of my tip up subpanel.

I?m a little confused with Garmin?s mounting instructions. It says to mount within 1 degree of either the longitudinal or lateral axis of the plane. Later, there is up to 30 degrees of adjustment available.

I?m thinking I could use a square on an edge of that section of my subpanel to get a baseline. From there, I can locate the mounting holes. I?m thinking since this a match drilled aircraft, this method should get me really close.

Agree???

Thanks!

Try to minimize vibration

If you mount it to the subpanel, I would mount it near a rib or close to the edge to minimize the motion of the unit due to vibration. The install manual calls out mounting it in rigid location.

With regard to the angles, I believe that the 1 degree limitation has to do with mounting the unit in regard to heading. If you image the unit as sitting on a cardinal heading when looking at it from the top, it can only be 1 degree out of that orientation. The subpanel is perpendicular to the centerline of the airplane, so that should be fine. With regard to having the unit level, there is more tolerance because the unit can sense gravity and calibrate out a non level attitude when you do the pitch and roll offset so there is a larger tolerance. there is no way to sense if the heading of the unit is correct, hence the 1 degree tolerance.

Thanks,
Levi

Back