- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-20-2017, 09:15 PM

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
If you can put 9 gal of fuel in the tank and cover 236 nautical miles over a period of 1 hr, I will give ya $100 hard cash purely for witnessing the demonstration.
He didnít claim anything like that.

-Andy
Old 11-20-2017, 09:17 PM

"the performance was stated at 4,000 ft min climb rate and a top speed at 236 knots with a 9 gal hr fuel burn" Indicates the fuel burn rate was achieved while flying at 236 knots but probably not what he meant.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:22 AM

Mike,

Sure is a unique and interesting aircraft! Can you provide links to the publications that you referred to (if available), or perhaps provide some details of the build. It would be interesting to hear about the mods required to support the engine and to work through any weight and balance issues with the alternative engine, as well as structural strength mods for the higher speeds achieved. It would also be interesting to hear about performance measurements you have taken since you have been flying it (power settings and fuel flow at max speed, cruise speed, etc). Also would love to hear about engine temperature management.

Neat airplane...looking forward to hearing and seeing more about it!

Cheers,
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1RV7A View Post
Looks like I am a little late on responding as I am newer to this forum.
This is my RV7A based out of LGB and it was originally built by Predator Aviation and yes they were in AZ and moved to IL and Chris Opperman who owned Predator had a massive heart attack and passed away.
I purchased the plane a few years ago and have worked with another Chris that was Opperman's right hand man that lives local and the plane is back flying.
It has been featured in a couple publications prior to me owning it and the performance was stated at 4,000 ft min climb rate and a top speed at 236 knots with a 9 gal hr fuel burn.
I have approx. 200 photo's of the entire build and will be looking at selling the plane the first of the year.

I hope this helps with some of the questions
Sport Class Air Racing "Race 49"
SARL "Race 49"
West Coast Ravens FFI RV Formation Squadron
Old 11-21-2017, 07:31 AM

Hints of a lot of nay sayers, Dang, I could have had a V8! reminds me of all the non believers in HS that said you can't put a V8 in a Pinto....until I drove to school with it in the early 80s.....may not be practical but its COOL!
Old 11-21-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipsowh View Post
I had a website address for Predator Aviation but it doesn't seem to work now. The guy had moved from Arizona to Idaho and was working on an RV-10 to put the Chevy in. Haven't looked at his site in a while, and now it doesn't work.

Another website you might look at is Vestav8.com. Jason Day is offering a LS-1 package that looks very interesting. Check it out.

Bill Gipson
RV-10
N730WL
Fuselage
Hey Bill, what's the actual web address? It might well be archived in the Wayback Machine.

Mike, I, too, would like to see more info on the plane. Empty weight, cg, any airframe mods made to accommodate the extra engine weight, and of course, performance numbers.

Thanks,

Charlie

Last edited by rv7charlie : 11-21-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:23 AM

Here is some info. Look at the second article down and there is some pages to look at http://ronkilber.tripod.com/stories.htm
Old 11-21-2017, 10:38 AM

Default Other half

Over the years, seen lots of auto engine ideas. However, the real challenge is converting those horses to something that the prop can use. Iíd be interested in seeing the portion between the engine and the prop. Plane looks great!

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
C-140 In a barn
Maule MXT-7 Sold
RV-6a Sold
Twin Comanche - Sold
RV-9 IO-360 CS, Built and Flying
J3-65 Cub - low and slow stuff
Comanche 260 - poor mans RV-10
Old 11-21-2017, 11:03 AM

Add engine designer Jack Kane to the naysayers column.

Quote:
...When you do a true, accurate, apples-to-apples comparison of the total, firewall-forward weight of a complete, flying Lycoming or Continental powerplant against that of a complete, flyable liquid-cooled powerplant of the same or greater power (real, measured SAE Horsepower, not "BlantonPower"), the liquid-cooled installation will almost always outweigh the Lyco-Nental by a considerable amount. There is a table at the end of this page showing details supporting this statement...
Old 11-21-2017, 11:44 AM

That's the car I needed in Junior College Bret! My Mom's Pinto struggled when half of our offensive line climbed into it on the way to the post-game party. Tailback driving, Fullback right seat, Center and Guards in the back...phone-booth fit! We may have been slightly over-gross for the 1600cc "Pintera"! Ah for a V-8 that day!

How long did your tires last...that one ride to HS?

But we digress! Though auto conversions have challenges, its fun to see them work, and a buddy is building an LS2 Single Seat Thorp, so any info on this project is welcome. Gonna take a look at the links!

Cheers,
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
Hints of a lot of nay sayers, Dang, I could have had a V8! reminds me of all the non believers in HS that said you can't put a V8 in a Pinto....until I drove to school with it in the early 80s.....may not be practical but its COOL!
Sport Class Air Racing "Race 49"
SARL "Race 49"
West Coast Ravens FFI RV Formation Squadron
Old 11-21-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kuykendall View Post
Thanks for posting the link Bob.

It seems to be a very thoughtfully written document and in my opinion should be a go to reference for anyone considering an alternative engine installation in an aircraft.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")