What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First light

San Angelo...and Houston Unexpectedly

The last pilot for the day asked that we get started as early as possible, and since I don't fly at night, it was a 15 minute before sunrise departure. I picked up husky Mesquite in San Angelo (KSJT) at 8:30, and headed for Taylor (T74). As I arrived in Taylor, I thought something was amiss. I hadn't heard the other pilot on common traffic, nor did I see her sitting on the ramp. Sure enough, when I got to my phone there was a message that she couldn't get her plane started.

I fueled up, and headed for the terminal building where it was out of the wind and at least above freezing. I touched base with the coordinator and pilot of the 3rd leg. He and I agreed to each go a bit further, basically splitting the second leg.

I offered to return my co-pilot to his car, but he was in for the entire adventure, so off we went. I had a huge head start since I had already finished my original leg and the other pilot was coming in from New Orleans, so my co-pilot and I took our time and did some meandering on our way in to Houston.

We landed at Houston executive - another pin in the map Rosie! - and settled in for a 45 minute wait in a really nice FBO. The dog had lots of admirers and treated them all accordingly.

It was a good day for the greenhouse effect in our cockpit with the cold temps, but the sun was shining and no turbulence at altitude. All easy legs, just a little more flight time than expected.

Some were up way before the crack of dawn:
nyfnu8.jpg

Meet Mesquite!
2mq92mf.jpg

All cozy in the back of the 9A. He wasn't so sure he wanted to get out.
mvncb5.jpg

Great job Tanya & well done doing another 1/2 leg to get your puppy to his new home.

I can't relate to the 17d, but it has been chilly here in FL the last few days.

I'm out for my 2nd PNP mission on Saturday to Marathon FL, in the keys, on Saturday. Temps should be a comfortable 80. :rolleyes:

It is very gratifying doing a good deed with the RV.

Last edited:
The last pilot for the day asked that we get started as early as possible, and since I don't fly at night, it was a 15 minute before sunrise departure. I picked up husky Mesquite in San Angelo (KSJT) at 8:30, and headed for Taylor (T74). As I arrived in Taylor, I thought something was amiss. I hadn't heard the other pilot on common traffic, nor did I see her sitting on the ramp. Sure enough, when I got to my phone there was a message that she couldn't get her plane started.

I fueled up, and headed for the terminal building where it was out of the wind and at least above freezing. I touched base with the coordinator and pilot of the 3rd leg. He and I agreed to each go a bit further, basically splitting the second leg.

I offered to return my co-pilot to his car, but he was in for the entire adventure, so off we went. I had a huge head start since I had already finished my original leg and the other pilot was coming in from New Orleans, so my co-pilot and I took our time and did some meandering on our way in to Houston.

We landed at Houston executive - another pin in the map Rosie! - and settled in for a 45 minute wait in a really nice FBO. The dog had lots of admirers and treated them all accordingly.

It was a good day for the greenhouse effect in our cockpit with the cold temps, but the sun was shining and no turbulence at altitude. All easy legs, just a little more flight time than expected.

Some were up way before the crack of dawn:
nyfnu8.jpg

Meet Mesquite!
2mq92mf.jpg

All cozy in the back of the 9A. He wasn't so sure he wanted to get out.
mvncb5.jpg

What a beautiful Huskie. I love his blue eyes. Thanks to Scott and Tanya and all involved to for their compassion helping these animals. You guys are the best!

Back