What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Ground Power Sockets?

David Paule

Well Known Member
What plugs and sockets are you using to connect external power on the ground in your own hangar?

Also, what power socket do you have to get a start from an FBO if necessary?

Thanks,
Dave

Not flying yet, but here's my solution. I've got an Earth-X battery which can be finicky about charging and external power. So I bought also the 9 amp charger (there are even larger ones). On the ground I can plug in the charger and just use equipment normally. The charger will keep the battery topped off. If I need a jump out in the wild, I'll find an AC outlet and charge the battery with the charger (which I'll carry with me). The charger I got should take about 1.5 hours to charge the battery I have from full dead to full charge. Maybe not the most ideal solution but it's my solution.

The charger came with a plug that can attach to the battery. And I bought an extender for that plug which will mount to the rear panel of the baggage compartment of my RV10.

I bought the Piper style male and female receptacles. Mounted the female to the plane bottom and wired up the male with some pigtails to use with jumper cables

On the bigger airplanes, I use the Piper style jack and a plug on jumper cables - so I can get a solid jump start if needed.

On the RV-3, I didn't want the weight penalty of the Piper jack, so I have a connection that will let me charge the battery hidden in one of the cheek cowl storage areas. I have a cable that attaches to a large-amp plug, and carry that with me. Not good for jumping - just charging.

I have the 3-prong mil type accessible from a hinged cover I made on the bottom of the tailcone, behind the baggage bulkhead, left of centerline. Sorry no finished pics only these from during the build.
FP19052012A0002H.jpg

FP19052012A0002I.jpg

And I have one of these:
11-00971a.jpg

and one of these:
11-02952.jpg

I use this one in the hangar and connect to a 13.8v bench top power supply when I need to run my panel for an extended time.

Last edited:
Powerlet

Check out Powerlet.

Not for jumping, but great for charging as well as plugging in temporary accessories. Tons better than a traditional cigarette lighter plug/socket. I believe they are standard equipment on BMW motorcycles for plugging in heated vests, intercoms, etc.

Ditto

We have the same socket as Todd has. It is used in most Cessna and other aircraft. Most "FBO's" will have a jump or ground power unit to plug into it for both 12 and 24 volt systems. We did not mount through the skin however. We found that we could make a bracket and mount the socket to the top of the motor mount, just to the rear of the oil filler door. We open the door and plug it in if we need it for hangar flying or if we need a jump. Our battery is on the firewall just below that location, so the positive cable goes on the battery side of the master relay and the ground cable goes to the engine mount. If you slant it back about 30* or so it will not be in the way of anything you need to get at through the oil filler door. Just what we found that works for us. Yours as always, R.E.A. III #80888

EarthX Jump Pack

I am using the EarthX Jump Pack with their quick connect cable attached to my odyssey battery. The quick connect cable is readily accessible from the front baggage compartment of my RV-8 and only weighs less than 1.5 pounds with adequate starting power for better than six months without recharging.
Val Kozak
RV-8
N81VK

Jump Pack

the EarthX pack has magical qualities. Since putting one in the tool bag the alternator hasn't failed, the battery has stayed strong and the pilot hasn't left the master on. I hope to never use it, but it is nice to know it's there for a quick charge if needed.

Not flying yet, but here's my solution. I've got an Earth-X battery which can be finicky about charging and external power. So I bought also the 9 amp charger (there are even larger ones). On the ground I can plug in the charger and just use equipment normally. The charger will keep the battery topped off. If I need a jump out in the wild, I'll find an AC outlet and charge the battery with the charger (which I'll carry with me). The charger I got should take about 1.5 hours to charge the battery I have from full dead to full charge. Maybe not the most ideal solution but it's my solution.

The charger came with a plug that can attach to the battery. And I bought an extender for that plug which will mount to the rear panel of the baggage compartment of my RV10.

I think I'm going to take the same approach, though I'm planning on a dual-bus system. My airplane is going to be electrically-dependent (EFI) so no jump starts for me.

That said, I'm also planning to design the system such that I'll be able to ferry VFR with one battery OR one alternator out of service. Going to have to think that one through for a while.

Last edited:
Ground power vs battery charging/jumping

All,

If you have a heavy electrically dependent panel recommend you consider the running current when everything is turned on. I found that my GTN-650 is a real power hog, so the dual 10" EFIS panel and all the other stuff added to the GTN-650 pushes 20 amps. This is with Pitot Heat, landing lights and such off.

On the ground I have a 12 gauge hook up wire to the left and right vital buss that I connect to a 20 amp regulated power supply. This means I can run the panel with both master solenoids off (batteries not connected). I avoid running the panel on a battery charger. Here is a link for a typical generic 13.8vdc regulated power supply: http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-004434

I have a rule to never fly an airplane that needed a jump to get started. I'm too dependent on reserve battery capacity for my level of risk tolerance. If the battery(s) is flat because it was abused, replace it. If it is flat because you had the panel up or such, charge it before leaving the ground.

Carl

All,

If you have a heavy electrically dependent panel recommend you consider the running current when everything is turned on. I found that my GTN-650 is a real power hog, so the dual 10" EFIS panel and all the other stuff added to the GTN-650 pushes 20 amps. This is with Pitot Heat, landing lights and such off.
Carl

I use a ground power supply to run many panels in the shop for hours on end, I have found a dual G3X 10" panel with 750 and all the other avionics on generally draws around 10 amps.

Those cool ideas are now out of date. ;)
My son turned me on to Boost jump start batteries:
https://www.amazon.com/Allstart-560-Boost-Max/dp/B00RZE1FB2
The link is to the one I currently use, but these things are common as dirt now.
They also have USB ports to charge your iPad and iPhone, have a flash (and flashing!) light, and come with jumper cables and a pack of connectors for various gadgets that need their batteries charged.
Prices and power levels vary from cheap to a lot, but the Allstart and the MAC Tools versions I've had have been great.
It fits in my engine compartment thru the oil inspection door, so I could start the engine, then (carefully so as not the meet the prop) reach in and remove it, then close the hatch.
I know that sounds a little risky for some, but compare that to hand propping?
Or, inside the cockpit, I could connect to the power bus stud and wait until the Ship's battery gains enough charge.
Also, if I lost alternator power in flight, I could connect the boost battery to the power bus stud and add some endurance to the next airport, to keep the radio, transponder and EFIS up and running.
Typically it's used to keep the iPad fresh during hours of Foreflight, but I should build in a Ship's USB port.
Then I carry it in the car, it will jump a big V8. It's started my old Ford tractor too.
Carry it with you, have it ready for use on anything: Airplane, Car, Motorcycle, Riding Mower, transistor radio etc, etc.

Last edited:
Back