What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder and RTV

thoma015

Well Known Member
Im about to button up the rudder and i have seen a lot of builders put a blob of RTV or pro-seal on the stiffener tips.

Is this necessary, and if so, what is its purpose?

thanks,

Last edited:
Vans addresses it in the plans. I put it between the stiffener and the skin, which I've seen people do. The concern I had with putting a blob between the two stiffeners is it just falling off after time.

I also think vans addresses the fact that it's not really necessary and a lot of the cracking was a result of over driven rivets. At the end of the day, don't get too wrapped up about it, it's not a major issue. If it make you feel better then do it, if it doesn't make you feel better then don't.

I did on mine

I used it on mine. Thought why not if the instructions suggested it. I used the Dow Corning RTV but many use the premium sensor safe RTV to save some money. Its only a few bucks...why skip it??

The instructions for the 8 rudder call for it as well.
I went to the local feed and farm supply to get large animal syringes to place it. I found getting my hands plus the tube of RTV all the way back was not working for me.

I must be missing it...i re-read the instructions and didn't see where it said to put RTV on the rudder tips. The only reason i asked was because i saw other builders using it in their build logs.

I must be missing it...i re-read the instructions and didn't see where it said to put RTV on the rudder tips. The only reason i asked was because i saw other builders using it in their build logs.

Under "General Information" Look at Section 5.7 - Folded Trailing Edges. It describes it's use there. During my research when I built my rudder, I felt that the application of RTV just forward of the rudder trailing edge (wedge) was in harmony with the reason for use on the folded edges. I also believe that its covered in the RVator articles.

Although...YMMV. Happy researching! :):)

RTV Extension

Never stop building things . . .
IMG_1801.jpg

You will regret not doing it.

Once your rudder cracks at the last rivet on the stiffener.
you will regret not having RTV'd it!
We just made a new RV-6 rudder (completed 1998) for these cracks.
It is a small thing to do to be able to say you did everything while the assembly was open.

I built an RV-4 tail per HRII plans once upon a time, and there was an .016 folded doubler inside the rudder and elevator trailing edges just wide enough to catch the aft most stiffener rivets on each side.

You guys are always right! I went ahead and put some RTV on the stiffener tips closest to the trailing edge. Didn't take any time at all and was easy.

Thanks again for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

I was told this is a carry over in the plans from problems with skin cracking on the RV6 skins which were .016" I have a friend who's 6 empennage has several stop drilled cracks, especially on the rudder skin.

Back