What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Service loop wire length?

sbalmos

Well Known Member
As a ballpark figure when roughly determining how much wire to order, what have your service loop lengths been? I originally thought 1ft extra at each instrument / bundle. But that's probably too much. 6"? Gut instinct was saying however much it takes to slide an instrument out of the panel.

Somehow I think this is going to turn into an opinion-fest rivaling primer debates. :) Thanks regardless!

Somehow I think this is going to turn into an opinion-fest rivaling primer debates. :) Thanks regardless!

Yeah - all the bickering gets old.

Are you thinking actual loop after wires are routed? Or extra for ordering purposes?

If for actual, 6" sounds like plenty, think about the main bundles and where you will put the loop. 6" makes a 3" long loop in a bundle. Shorter is hard to make cleanly.

If planning, then your knowledge of routing paths would have to be very very good to only purchase 6" extra per run. No advice, just planning perspective. An artful wire fan at a block can eat up more wire than you (me!) thinks.

Make them long enough so that you can reach and see all of the pins on the connectors without having to crawl under the panel on your back. The weight and cost of that extra foot is nothing compared to the pain when you have to troubleshoot something (and you will). This is one thing I regret not doing with my electrical wiring. Can you tell I've had to get under the panel many times?

That was my original general line of thought Bruce. Though to that extent then, the service loop size is dependent on how deep the component goes in the panel. So the loop for, say, the GDU display is relatively small, compared to the GTR radio or the GTN GPS, wouldn't you think?

First off, I echo everything Bill said. Planning routings and wire lengths within 6" is nigh on impossible. Second, keep in mind that wire is cheap. When I added up the entire cost of my project by work task, I was shocked at how little I had in wiring. It's peanuts compared to everything else. :)

I thought I put adequate service loops in my RV-10, but most of them were way too short. My recommendation is to make them long enough to put the respective tray in your lap. This will save you from crawling under the panel.

My $.02

It's relatively easy to cut wires that are too long.
OTOH, wire stretchers are VERY expensive and difficult to use.

AC 43.13 supports what the others here have said. "Components should extend out from their mounting position a distance that permits rotating and unlocking (or locking) the electrical connector. Usually a distance of 3 to 6 inches, with all other components installed, should be sufficient."

Radius

AC 43.13 supports what the others here have said. "Components should extend out from their mounting position a distance that permits rotating and unlocking (or locking) the electrical connector. Usually a distance of 3 to 6 inches, with all other components installed, should be sufficient."

I believe it also states the bend radius should be at least 10X the diameter of wire, coax is 6X.

Scott,
I planned my panel with the two displays next to each other. After flying lessons in an Archer into a towered airport with the radio at the far right, I am reconsidering my choice. I think I want 2 radios and in the center section. I am trying to figure if I have long enough wires to make it work. If not, I will be OK, but if they were longer, I could make the changes I want. If you make all your wires 6" longer than you plan, it may add a half pound. Just leave a bottle of water in the hangar and you have the same weight!

Have fun my friend!

Back