What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra hole in skins from dimpling

thoma015

Well Known Member
I punched a new hole in the skin when i was dimpling it. Is this salvageable or do i need a new VS skin?

Again thanks for all the help!

IMG_20150907_132635313.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Upsize to a -4 rivet, back it with a doubler if edge distance on the underlying structure is compromised, clean it up, and move on. Paint will cover it.

I rounded the edges/cleaned the hole and dimpled it with a 1/8 set. The -4 rivet just didn't fill the gap. The outside is much better than the inside where there is still a open space. Once the rib goes on there and squeeze it, it should be ok. Think I can press with this?

IMHO No

I would say no, putting a -4 rivet in that hole is not the answer. You will have a great location for a working rivet or even a crack to develop in the skin.

Without being there to measure you might be able to move up to a -5 or 5/16" rivet, but you need to check the edge distance of resulting hole in the rib. I doubt there is sufficient edge clearance on that rib.

Replacing whole skins is tough to do, but you will be happier in the end.

Just my two cents.

That part of the skin actually attaches to the VS main spar (aft one with the doubler).

I would have to measure but i believe there would be sufficient edge margin with a -5 rivet.

All of the dimples in these picture look really bad to me. It may be just the lighting or the angle, but several others look deformed, or not formed correctly. What are the scratches from? What type dimpler are you using?

Hole

Personally, I would abandon it and drill two new holes on either side (assuming edge distance allows) and add a doubler behind the spar. File the hole clean so a crack cannot propogate. Later the hole can be filled.
Ask Vans for an official opinion.

Personally, before drilling any holes into the main vertical spar other than what the plans call for (extras or larger), I'd run it past Vans' engineering, just to be sure.

Edit: same post as above, I agree!

Last edited:
All of the dimples in these picture look really bad to me. It may be just the lighting or the angle, but several others look deformed, or not formed correctly. What are the scratches from? What type dimpler are you using?

I was noticing that as well. I Was using the C Frame with 3/32 dies on there. I think I may not be striking with the hammer hard enough to get a good dimple. I'm going to go back and check every hole bore i start attaching the skin to the frame. The scratches are from the dimple die. I wasn't using enough caution when moving from hole to hole, and the tip was rubbing/scratching as I did. Will these buff out when it comes time to paint.

Personally, I would abandon it and drill two new holes on either side (assuming edge distance allows) and add a doubler behind the spar. File the hole clean so a crack cannot propogate. Later the hole can be filled.
Ask Vans for an official opinion.

That's a great idea as well and one I was contemplating. I'll give Van's a call before I move any further.

Isn't the standard AC4130 repair to clean up the offending hole, then drill new holes at appropriate edge distances on each side of the bad one, dimple and rivet as normal?

This is my interpretation of the repair from AC 43-13b. From chapter 4

"4-58. REPAIR METHODS AND PRECAUTIONS FOR ALUMINUM STRUCTURE

f. Patching of Small Holes. Small holes in skin panels which do not involve damage to the stiffening members may be patched by covering the hole with a patch plate in the manner shown in figure 4-16 (page 4-32.) Flush patches also may be installed in stressed-skin type construction.

An acceptable and easy flush patch may be made by trimming out the damaged area and then installing a conventional patch on the underneath side or back of the sheet being repaired. A plug patch plate of the same size and skin thickness as the opening may then be inserted and riveted to the patch plate."

I think both of these would distract from the finished look of the VS. Of course, Vans may have a better solution.

Talked to Vans

I called Vans this morning, and was told to just put a oversize rivet in it...like the -4 that's already in there and then patch it later with bondo (or whatever you use on airplanes). He said I could do the 2 holes above and below but there really is no need. He said that if there were lots of these he would recommend replacing the skin, but one is fine.

Back