What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with engine selection

Freakshow108

Well Known Member
I hope this is in the correct section. Not looking for someone else to choose my engine, just need help in that direction.
I?m building a -7A, mission is:

Decent cross country, meaning 2-3 hour legs
Light acro
Planning on IFR
Probably more concerned about GPH rather than blistering speed and horse power.
Leaning towards CP prop
Unsure on carbureted or fuel injected
Price is a concern but I do not mind spending the money to purchase a better product. I plan on this aircraft staying in the family for a long time.
Prefer to stay with traditional engine

Thanks in advance!!

A few thoughts:
* An O-360 is easier to resell than an O-320 these days, and that will probably be true in the future;
* An O-320 will burn a gallon per hour less than an O-360. So what? It means that an O-320 will have an extra 30 minutes' endurance;
* A constant speed prop should be well worth it for IFR, in that you can set the power and it will stay there. I'm currently changing my fixed pitch to a constant speed.

Ed

It is hard to beat a Van?s special with prop combo discount. I consider this the best engine/prop value out there.

The IO-360-M1B (180hp) with the Hartzell BA prop will provided a very efficient cross country ship, especially if you order it from Lycoming with a pMag. For my current project I ordered the engine with a pMag and no mag (they gave me a credit that I used to buy the second pMag).

This parallel valve engine also sets you up to burn 94UL fuel - perhaps the most viable alternative to 100LL as it is already being sold.

My first RV started life with a FP prop. After 300 hours I replaced it with the Hartzell BA CS prop. I consider the FP prop the only real mistake I made on my first project.

Carl

This

The IO-360-M1B (180hp) with the Hartzell BA prop will provided a very efficient cross country ship

Or build an IO375 from Aerosport power if you want "boutique".

Happy to discuss offline.

Pretty much everything to do with flying revolves around money -:)
A good way to look at a future purpose is to think about the combination as if it was on the market for sale. Even though you intend to keep the plane long term it's still a good idea to look beyond today :)
As mentioned. IO360 180 HP and CS prop, pretty much the bench mark for most of the popular Vans designs.

Enjoy the experience :)

Decent cross country, meaning 2-3 hour legs
Light acro
Planning on IFR
Probably more concerned about GPH rather than blistering speed and horse power.
Leaning towards CP prop
Unsure on carbureted or fuel injected

Fuel inject will help with running LOP for best GPH. Electronic ignition also helps in this area.

I've done many 4 hour legs and a couple days with two 4 hour legs (Savannah, GA > San Antonio, TX and next day to Clarion, PA). Make sure to get the most comfortable seats you can find.

My -7A has a 3 blade Catto (solid crank) and I am quite happy with the performance. The difference in cost compared to CS paid for many other upgrades (fuel injection, EI, etc).

Back