What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for RV-14A Gust Locks

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
What are you guys doing for gust locks?

I've been waiting for Antisplat to release an RV-14A version of their Ultimate Gust Lock but I guess they gave up on it and won't reply to any of my inquiries.

Find the "a couple of printed ideas" thread here on VAF... Steve's designed some nice looking ones and his daughter would be happy to sell you a set.

Find the "a couple of printed ideas" thread here on VAF... Steve's designed some nice looking ones and his daughter would be happy to sell you a set.
I saw those and am watching with interest .. not sure how I feel about the bungi cords.

Last edited:
Wild Blue Innovations

Are they still in business? Website does not seem to work. I have one for my -9A. It is very nice. I hope I can get a similar one for the -14A i'm building.

the 10 might fit the 14?

I've been waiting for Antisplat to release an RV-14A version of their Ultimate Gust Lock but I guess they gave up on it and won't reply to any of my inquiries.

My neighbor bought the Ultimate Gust Lock for his RV10. It looks like it would fit the 14, but did not try it. ??

Last edited:
No - not Anti-splat, but Wild Blue Innovations

Antisplat? Yep, still in business. Great products, not sure why we aren't seeing a 14 gust lock from them, would buy immediately as will others. Website is working for me - https://antisplataero.com

These are not the same companies - Wild Blue is the manufacturer of the Gust Buster - uses bungie cords and a rudder lock.

I talked with AntiSplat recently - they are waiting on a supplier to produce a re-designed part before getting back to the (long) list of folks waiting for them!

Question: Is the -14 cockpit similar enough to the -10 for the tow bar to work? (Search ?Bogart tow bar as gust lock? ?RV-10? or similar). Why carry two things when one will do both jobs?

Question: Is the -14 cockpit similar enough to the -10 for the tow bar to work? (Search ?Bogart tow bar as gust lock? ?RV-10? or similar). Why carry two things when one will do both jobs?

I don't think they are similar but, I have used my Bogart tow bar as a rudder gust lock on my 14. It works very well.

I don't have pictures, but I use it in the collapsed position and stick the tow bar end up against the rudder and brake pedal and slide the handle bar end against the seat area.

I'll take pictures next time I'm out at the plane.

I'm using a version of the rudder gust lock from Tim O and E. Mine has 3" sections added at the rear (vs just the T fitting) to prevent it from twisting out a little better and wrap the seat belt around the stick for aileron and elevator locking until I can find a dedicated lock for them.

Ha! Funny you mention this ... I was headed to the local Home Depot Aviation Supply Co to pickup the parts to make this ...

Maybe we could setup a group buy with AntiSplat to give them incentive to release the 14 part?

Ha! Funny you mention this ... I was headed to the local Home Depot Aviation Supply Co to pickup the parts to make this ...

Maybe we could setup a group buy with AntiSplat to give them incentive to release the 14 part?

I was told they have a big backlog of buyers. Maybe Alan will come along and comment?

I built my own, only a rudder lock, and it is working very well. It is very light, 6 oz but more importantly easy to use. I will take a picture next time I get a chance.

I'm going to double up (use 6) of the Airgizmos until the Ultimate Gust Lock gets here ... hopefully they will work okay

This is what I use for the rudder. A 4" pull handle with wingnut screws from Home Depot Aviation department.

OT6PqNa.jpg

PmlvXVT.jpg

I use AirGuizmo gust locks and I am satisfied of them.
Currently 1 on each elevator with a cord between them to lock the rudder on its trailing edge. In the middle of the cord there is a small V-shapped aluminium sheet. But it's provisory, as Sheldon I'll made a locker on the rudder stops and only one AirGuizmo on elevators.

It was nice and firm in 25 mph winds last weekend when I flew to another airport for the afternoon. Had someone hold the rudder while I attached the handle it was so windy.

the rudder lock is similar to the one I saw on Van's 14, only made from the
C01442B canopy frame alignment tool instead of wood

The aileron/elevator lock is modified from the Husky lock at aircraft spruce which proved to be too flimsy and kept popping off so is now strengthened and fastened under the panel with camloks

fnh500.jpg

Last edited:
Back