What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks - when to make the cut

unitink72

Well Known Member
I'm putting two of the Duckworks kits in my -10. The wing leading edges are in the first assembly/match drill phase currently.

I am fabricating the light brackets right now. The question is weather I cut the holes in the skins now, or wait until after everything is riveted together.

The main thing I'm worried about is it will significantly weaken the skin outboard of the hole. I'll still have to get it out of the wood blocks, scuff and prime, dimple, then put it back in the blocks. That's a fair amount of handling.

I am *very* careful about things and have yet to bugger up a piece during handling. Those of you that have cut the hole during first assembly - am I just being a big sissy? Or was it not a big deal at all and I should just go for it?

I installed mine after the wings were closed up. No issues.

I would wait at least until the leading edge skin is completely installed.

E

I did it after the skins were riveted on the ribs, but before I attached the leading edges to the wings.

The kit was designed to be done on a flying RV, so doing prior to installing on the wings does make it a little easier. While making the first cut is scary, it's really not as bad as it seems once you get into it. (Granted I'm still waiting to cut the lens).

I have done it both before and after riveting the leading edge. I found it to be slightly easier to cut the skin when it wasn't assembled. But only because it was more ergonomic to work on the lower skin on my bench at the lower hight. The cut was the last thing I did before final riveting. Both sides look the same, so purely a preference.

I did it when the leading edge was clecoed in place but not riveted. Then after the cut, I could remove the leading edge and work on it.

Dave

My plane had a single leading edge light. I too would like to have only had wingtip landing lights and I plan to add a second light in the opposite tip.

I would not have cut the skin if I was building.

Why Cut the Aluminum? FLYLEDS.com has a great wing tip Land Light Solution.

I already have the older FLYLED kit assembled and the duckworks/baja design stuff purchased. I think this still yields the best lighting solution, although arguably overkill.

I've had rough landings before because of crappy lighting, 9800 lumens should squash that problem!

Thanks for the input everybody. Seems like the consensus is assemble then make the cut. I just needed a gentle push one way or another - now back to the shop!

Back