What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strobe Wiring

SeanB

Well Known Member
Hello,

I'm getting ready to button up some wiring on my project and have slight confusion with the strobe wiring for my AeroLEDS. I've studied their drawings and mostly understand them. Looks like 20AWG Shielded will handle the job.

My question....do I need to plan my wiring for the combined value of 13.3A (this is the combination of all three lights at peak current....strobe) as I converge at a terminal strip, then go forward to my VPX? I believe this is 14 AWG from the terminal strip to the VPX. The current is peak for 0.2 seconds. Also, my available breaker value is 15A.

Thanks for any insight. Pics of similar installations? New at this wiring thing. Love all the learning, but my brain is getting tired.

Fuses/circuit breakers protect wire.

If you're fusing at 15A, then all the wire downstream needs to be able to handle 15A.

In the real world, 20AWG will survive 15A indefinitely, but it's not 'best practice' because it'll likely get pretty warm & might stress any insulation shy of Tefzel.
https://www.powerstream.com/wire-fusing-currents.htm
('Fusing current' is the current required to melt the wire.)

If you're saying that you will wire from the 15A protection to a terminal strip with a 14AWG wire, and then split 3 ways to loads, then you could use a small ATO fuse block at that point instead of a terminal block and fuse each branch there.

To be repetitive, circuit fuses or circuit breakers protect wire; not devices.

Charlie

Back