Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-28-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
N numbers only mean something to the builder, or owner of any airplane (maybe falsely). No one else cares. I would be happy with a randomly selected N number - like buying a lottery ticket with auto pick. Who cares, really?? The only reason I can think of for selecting a personalized N number is how it rolls off the tongue. I donít prefer to end my call sign in ďSierra Echo, or Zulu HotelĒ - too many syllables for me, but others may like those ones. BUT - I could get used to any number. The N number means NOTHING. We could shut the N number pirates down by not caring what our useless N number is. If you built your airplane, your name is on the data plate. Isnít that enough?
We customize panels, interiors, colors, exterior schemes, configurations (trigear vs conventional), canopy selections, engines, props, electrical systems.

Why wouldn't we prefer custom N-numbers.

PS - anyone want N42KB? I've got it reserved, but won't need it.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 03-28-2019, 09:28 PM

Why??? Because itís apparently difficult to get what you want and it can get very expensive! Itís like a personalized license plate on your car. The only people that care about that are the cops that are pulling you over. I wouldnít pay any more than the required $10 for an N number. I seriously doubt that anybody looking at your airplane and noticing all the wonderful things you did in building it (seriously) will take a glance at your N number. I think $10 is too much!! Somebody is gouging us. Call them entrepreneurs if you want, but I think of them the same way I think about the countless scammers that call my cell phone so many times every day. Maybe they should get a job. Your N number is the most meaningless thing on your airplane.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2019
Old 03-28-2019, 09:59 PM

I picked my number by how quick easy it was to say on the radio. I didn't want 2 letters.

If I were King, my policy would be just like it is for a car license plate. For home builds, you could buy it for one year and it you have net certified the plane after a year, you lose it. I would have lost my number since I have had it for a couple years, but since I am King, I could exempt myself.
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 05-29-2019, 10:40 PM

Sorry to revive this old thread. I too view certain companies as "scalpers". I wanted a short N number, but out of principle, was not going to pay the ransom. I believe it is difficult for the FAA to change their rules (i think some things are handed down by congress in the FAA reauthorization bill).. but I have noticed that last year they enhanced their website in order to make automated purchases more of a hassle.

I digress. So long story short, being a computer programmer by schooling, i simply wrote my own automated program to reserve and pay for numbers at the stroke of midnight (Central Time). If anyone wants me to [try to] reserve a number for them (for your own plane, not for resale!), PM me and we'll figure something out. I don't want to give out my program because I believe it to be faster than whatever these companies are using.

I have 1179, 1913, 2111, and 713 reserved. I'll most likely use 713 later this year and not renew the others. (don't forget that 1's have special dimensions that can lead to physically shorter painted numbers on your plane!)
Wings 95% done (AOA)
Fuse 100% done
Finish 75% done (canopy, cowl & tail glass)
Avionics 0% done (IFR package ordered)
Dues paid 2019
Old 05-30-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
I picked my number by how quick easy it was to say on the radio. I didn't want 2 letters.

If I were King, my policy would be just like it is for a car license plate. For home builds, you could buy it for one year and it you have not certified the plane after a year, you lose it. I would have lost my number since I have had it for a couple years, but since I am King, I could exempt myself.
You nailed it....... Why would you want to say "nin er hoo tell pa pa" when you could just say...626.

I gave up my custom number because I hated scrolling back and forth to enter letters at the pump.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2019 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 11-16-2019, 01:32 AM

Apparently trying to make a change about N-numbers is considered political and not appropriate and has been removed, yet we can complain for or against them here.

So keep an eye out on social networks for a link to do something about it.

:-)

RV14A Tail kit build in process
RV 14 WIKI in process, residing on Drop Box

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu5p6f4l7...bU0ck0pJa?dl=0

change dot org link http://chng.it/KBPtXZYD

---For Edit Access drop me a PM with your Email address.
EAA 1300
Donation Paid 2018, 2019 Military exempt but paid any way Cause its worth it.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm757 View Post
I have to give credit for the guy who thought this scheme up, but it is not in the interests of fair play.
It was simply copying the practice started with web domain names 15-20 years ago. Limited supply and strong, vanity-based demand creates a profit opportunity. I agree it is a shame but the FAA likely doesn't care and has other things to deal with.

Last edited by lr172 : 11-16-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL Pilot View Post
Apparently trying to make a change about N-numbers is considered political and not appropriate and has been removed, yet we can complain for or against them here.
Commenting on site policy is also considered not appropriate so expect your post (and this one) to be removed as well...

I was looking for a registration that was easy to say on the radio, but when my initials came up as available, I went with that instead. When shortened to the last two letters it's pretty easy to say on the radio, and at least at my airport there isn't anyone with a similar registration to confuse anyone.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:27 PM

Smile N numbers

Iíve had good success getting the N numbers I wanted. I was very patient and sometimes waited years to get one. I flew a twin Beech that was N711, I knew I could never get it. It has been in the same family for 70+ years. I did finally get N6711 just after an airplane was deregistered. It was on a Lockheed. I do like the number on my RV6A.
RV6A owner
L19 sold
ATP/FE/CFI 10 Type Ratings.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL Pilot View Post

So keep an eye out on social networks for a link to do something about it.

:-)
Stay on it HAL. Get the FB page going and I will spread it like the plague to every pilot group I can find! I know some people that have actually meet with the FAA in Oklahoma in regards to Sean. Keep up the flight and the pressure and I know we can get this changed. Good work sir!
2018 dues paid.
Closed Thread