What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12 and RV12 iS tailcone difference

awmuhs

Well Known Member
Our teen building group, Southern Arizona Teen Aviation, is building 2 RV12?s

We received our first tailcone just before the iS version was released. Our second one was ordered after. We opted to order the iS fuselage and engine for the first airplane.

The second tailcone has an inspection opening and cover on the bottom that allows access to the filters, pumps and fuel drain mounted on the aft side of baggage bulkhead. The first tailcone does not have the opening.

We fabricated an opening for the first tailcone prior to mating the fuselage and tailcone.

For those who had similar timing to ours you may want to consider adding the inspection opening. I am not sure how you would get to the fuel drain otherwise.

F-01282-L-1

Yes good point, for all those who don't know, it's all based on what version on the fuselage you have, if you have the legacy fuselage then your good without the inspection hole. If you have the newer iS fuselage then you will have to have the cut out, punched out by Vans, or if you still have the older tail cone then you must make the hole from scratch. I had the old version with no inspection hole. I ordered a new F-01282-L-1(bottom left skin) and will remove and replace the old F-1282-L (bottom left skin). I know I could cut a hole but then it would not be the same because of the flange that is stamped into the part and will make the panel flush due to the factory made flange. It's got to add at least 20 knots do to less drag. :D

Our engineering team made updates to the plans in Section 38iS/U (finish kit). The steps included there explain how to create the inspection hole are to be completed before mating the tail cone to the fuselage. Instructions and a template to address this are provided. You can of course purchase a new skin with the factory-punched hole, if you choose to do so. That's just a matter of preference.

On page 38iS/U-07:

NOTE: For early production tailcones without the access hole in the F-01282-L-1 Bottom Left Skin as shown in Figure 3, go to Page 38iS/U-23 for instructions to include the access hole.

And on page 38iS/U-23:

NOTE: The oval hole in the F-1282-L Bottom Left Skin provides
access to the fuel drain for RV-12iS installations and to the
gascolator for RV-12 ULS installations. The template for the hole
is found on Page 38iS/U-25, Figure 3. Use the call-outs in Figure
1 and on the template to complete the steps on this page.

Step 1: Position the template on the skin and secure with tape.

Centerpunch two of the four #19 holes.

Cut the template along the edge of the hatched area using a razor
blade to score the skin beneath. Remove the template.

Step 2: Drill the two holes per the call-outs. Use the F-01282A
(RV-12iS) or F-01282B (RV-12 ULS) Cover Plates as a guide to drill
the remaining two holes.

Cut out the oval shaped hole in the skin.

Use the nutplates shown on Page 38iS/U-07, Figure 3 as drill guides
to match-drill #40 the nutplate attach holes, then deburr.

Step 3: Return to Page 38iS/U-07, Step 3.

The plans and template are available on the Van's web site in the RV-12iS Service Info Revisions and Changes section, here's the direct link to the file:

https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/revisions/RV-12/RV-12iS_38iS-U.pdf

Hope that helps!

greg

Last edited:
making your own joggles

I'm almost at the point where I need to cut the access hole in the bottom of the tailcone (i have a pre-iS tailcone). See 38iS/U-23

After I cut the hole, is there a somewhat easy way to create a joggle?

I think I read about one guy who drilled out the entire skin and replaced it with a proper iS skin that had the joggle. I'm not willing to put in that amount of effort for something that few people will actually see.. but .. maybe using a small die set and giant C clamp over and over again, I can make it ?

I don't know about you but the hole seems awfully small for maintenance on th pumps and related hardware - I'm almost tempted to enlarge it....

I don't know about you but the hole seems awfully small for maintenance on th pumps and related hardware - I'm almost tempted to enlarge it....

If you're building E-LSA you need to follow plans 100% without alterations prior to AW inspection.

We?ll have to go through the baggage compartment bulkhead opening to do any real maintenance on the fuel pump assembly.

Would I be able to purchase this kit and then the RV-12is Fuselage,
Engine, Avionics, etc. and have an ELSA RV-12is?
In order to register as E-LSA, you must get form "8130-15 Light Sport Aircraft
Statement of Compliance" from Van's Aircraft. You need to talk with Van's to
see if they will issue that completed form to you.

Related question: I noticed this RV-12 project for sale that has completed Wings and Empennage. Would I be able to purchase this kit and then the RV-12is Fuselage, Engine, Avionics, etc. and have an ELSA RV-12is? Or is that project too far down the RV-12 path to be considered?

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1454504_RV-12+Project.html

The answer is yes.
The fuselage kit is what determines the eventual model designation. You will have to do the minor modification to the bottom tail cone skin mentioned in this thread but it is relatively simple and there are detailed instructions provided in the build manual.

Would one of these work?

https://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=AE465

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/cata...MIhbLRz-Oj4QIVTDpPCh2kCAxZEAEYASABEgLmkvD_BwE

Since the instructions on page 38iS/U-23 and 38iS/U-25 don?t mention a joggle, I wonder if it?s worth the effort to make one. I doubt if the inspection panel causes much drag.
silly me.. i didn't even think to look to see if there was an Avery tool for that.

I'm sure any drag savings would be negligible and undetectable.. its more about having a normal looking rv-12iS .. rather than one of those "early model" rv-12iS's :)

silly me.. i didn't even think to look to see if there was an Avery tool for that.

I'm sure any drag savings would be negligible and undetectable.. its more about having a normal looking rv-12iS .. rather than one of those "early model" rv-12iS's :)

Let us know how it turns out if you decide to make a joggle. I agree it would look better.

joggle

This forum is amazing and somewhat mysterious! I had to google Joggle! I had no idea there was another tool that I just have to have LOL

Back