What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FREE Australian airport database

KRviator

Well Known Member
FREE Australian Airport Database for Dynon SkyView

Because I am a good-natured bloke (and get bored easily) I decided to work out a way to import all published Australian airports into SkyView - a process that was relatively painless using the DAH, Adobe and Excel once the KRviatrix showed me the way. However, as the VAF forum architecture doesn't allow uploading of files, you'll need to actually download them from the Dynon Forums, from my post over there... I figure most VAF'ers who are SkyView users will be members of both forums anyway. :p

Now, given there are many hundreds of Certified and Uncertified/ALA's in Australia, I cannot guarantee these are accurate inasmuch as I haven't screwed up something in the PDF-XLS conversion, but those in my immediate vicinity correlate perfectly with the OzRunways VTC overlay. That is my way of saying you use these files and the data therein at your own risk. If you get lost, that's your own fault, these are intended for situational awareness only.

Furthermore, I haven't been anal enough to go through and categorise each and every airport to their respective icon in SkyView. If it's a Certified airport, per the DAH, it gets a "Filled" icon, if it is a Uncertified aerodrome or an ALA, it gets a "Hollow" icon. Additionally, these will show up as User Waypoints in SkyView, so you need to have the "display user waypoints" option selected at a suitable map range to enable you to see them.

I will endeavour to keep these two files updated with each revision of the DAH unless AsA has a dummy spit, or I get tired of doing so. Anyway these are based on the November 2017 revision, with the next being due in May 2018. Eventually I might do the NavAids as well, but for now, here's the two airport files.

Happy Flying! :)

Last edited:
...this is one more excuse for me to come to Australia and fly with you guys. My son is up in Taree right now. I think it would be wonderful to see that area by air!

Here I was hoping it was for the G3X. I downloaded the DAH and started too.... argghh... maybe when I have time to set it up to work at the click of a button..

Haydn

I qualify this post by saying I do not have a Dynon system nor any system as I'm nowhere near that stage of my build, especially as it's on hold while I'm working in NZ.

Speaking with a member of my SAAA chapter about 12 months ago now who does have a Dynon system, my understanding was that Dynon now had all the Authorised Airservices Maps and data for their Skyview systems, giving full Australian maps, waypoints and airfield data.

It was this discussion that has me planning on Dynon instead of Garmin as I was originally planning. Happy to be corrected.

Dynon do indeed have the Australian Hybrid VFR maps available for purchase from OzRunways and AvPlan, but this doesn't include the aerodata, ie it is just a JPG-style image that is georeferenced and cannot be referenced for autopilot or flightplanning.

These waypoint files allow you to plug them into a Dynon flightplan and have the autopilot fly it along with HSI guidance.

G3X Updated

'Evening all.

After reports a local G3X owner was struggling to install the files and learning they now need to be in *.GPX format, I've updated the G3X version to include said GPX version for the ALA's - for G3X owners only.

To install your ALA database, download the GPX file & copy it to an SD card, navigate to your Waypoint screen, press MENU, then IMPORT and you will have a new dataset consisting of every ALA from the May 2020 DAH you can display on your MFD.

The original link to the RecFlying forum is also broken, so HERE is the new link to the files

Back