What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Florida

I used to Fly into Sarasota-Bradenton Airport when my Mother was still in Bradenton. I think the overnight fees were $10 or $15. It is the closest airport to Palmetto I believe. Are you flying back and forth to S N F or flying?
that would make a big difference in where you want to be.

Wakulla County Airport

Grass strip on the north side of Ochlockonee Bay in north Florida. There is a BBQ place on the north end of the field called Hamaknockers. It is really good. My wife and I go there at least once every six weeks or so. Also, if you would like a one mile hike either way, you could walk to Angelos at the bridge. It is upscale seafood and really good. The walk is worth it.

KEVB Balloon Fest/Airshow

This is a heads up for the annual Balloon Fest at New Smyrna Beach. Dates are April 8, 9, and 10. The Balloon Fest has been greatly expanded this year and includes some big time air show acts like Patty Wagstaff and Sean Tucker. http://seasideballoonfest.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-home.cgi?d=seaside-balloon-fest
This event is free and should be great fun.
Debi Boies, the founder of Pilots n' Paws is going to have a booth and will be hosting a luncheon on Saturday, April 9th for Pilots n' Paws volunteers. Drop Debi a note at [email protected] and let her know if you plan to attend.

I'm planning a trip down to the Keys in a few weeks and have had a look through all the comments on this thread. From that I've put together the following rough plan:

RunwayFinder:
KI39;4A7;FD27;KSGJ;DED;KCOI;KFPR;MYAF;24.58959/-76.81229;MYES;MYAK;MYAB;MYAF;KFPR;KOBE;KBCT;KMTH;KEYW;KMTH;X01;25.99138/-81.67374;KVNC;2RR;X25;KGIF;48X;KSPG;CDK;30.06434/-83.58124;KECP;K0J4;83J;1R8;33.83833/-86.20217;KGAD;KI39

Since I want to build up the experience of landing at as many airports as possible there are a lot of small hops in there...and a larger one to the Bahamas :D. Some are stops to see friends.

For those of you with Florida and/or Bahamas experience I would welcome any and all suggestions.

Dan, much of course depends on what you want to see/do on your way southeast...and then back to KY, presumably. But it seems likely that one of the routes will or could be along FL's west coast. Given that, I'd recommend you look into a visit at KSPG, St. Pete's downtown airport.

http://www.stpete.org/airport/

The downtown waterfront venue - a mix of parks, marinas, shops and many museums - is quite special. The local 'Looper' (pseudo-historic looking bus) costs a quarter, making for easy transport and a free tour if your layover time is short. The new FBO (and it's very nice restaurant, if a bit more upscale than typically found at GA airports) happens to be located next to the new, strikingly different but oddly appealing Dali Museum (and from there onwards via the Looper), and St. Pete even tosses in a new Control Tower (which is now dedicated but, as with most things FAA these days, not quite operational).

Picturesque as FL communities go, from the air and on foot, and with 3 of its 4 approaches over water. Mind the sailboats with the tall masts... <s>

Jack

Thanks for the info Jack. I'll definitely have to add that in. I'm flying right past there on the trip back North.

Dan,

You can obtain a very complete directory of Florida Airports through the FDOT. Has photos of nearly every airport in Florida and is a handy guide when approaching a new field. Google Florida Department of Transportation and do a search within that site or contact:

Aviation Office
Florida Department of Transportation
605 Suwanee Street, MS 46
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0450
Mr. Fred Karuga
850-414-4500 Phone
850-414-4508 Facsimile
[email protected]

I keep one in my flight bag and one at home. Very handy when prepping a critical breakfast mission

Check the Bahamas Department of Tourism (or something like that). They also have a ton of information including checklists for flying into Bahamas and return to US. FPR is the best choice for return with quick, uncrowded facilities. caribbeanflyingadventures.com is also a good source of info and procedures. Jim gets a few bucks for the service but it's very inexpensive and includes departure/arrival checklists, videos of landing at many Caribbean destination and up to date fuel price$$$ (Be prepared and bring cash)
This just scratches the surface but it's a start if you've never made the Bahamian trip.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info. Carl. I just signed up with caribbean flying adventures. I don't mind paying a bit for some good intel.

FL Directory

If you don't get one of the Florida Airport Directories, start asking at the FBO's in FL as you begin your tour. Many will have it available - free for the asking. That is, if they haven't all been spoken for.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Sebring

Anyone know if aviators are still flying into Sebring for breakfast on Wed. mornings??????

USA Florida

Mannan,
Yes, the groupe still meets in Seibring (KSEF) ( breakfast) not as many as in the winter months, arrive @ 08:00,
Dick

Apalachicola KAAF

Visit the "forgotten coast", which is what they call themselves.

Rental car available at the FBO. Marietta says the FBO has more plants than ANY FBO she has seen. (lots of semi tropicals) Town is sleepy during the off season... packed from spring to fall. (when we were there at end of 2011, the FBO was not sure the county was going to renew their lease)

We were there at end of year. Saw an owl on the power line walking from resturant to hotel. Hotel was on the water... watched the dolphins make the morning rounds(and listened to them blow)at the start of the morning as the sun rose on the bay. Apalachicola River Inn is where we stayed.... might wonder looing at the outside,.. but reasonalbe enough inside (no big, fancy chains in town) breakfast was included with room, and was very nice, again served "on the water".

Ate supper at the "Apalachicola Seafood Grill". Boats pulled in a few blocks away,.. so seafood was fresh. I have never seen so many people tonging for oysters as you see going across the bridge to St. George Island. If you want to fish yourself, there appears to be a number of charter boats available.

Beaches are across the bay,... many hotels and rental properties available. While it is a tourist area... there are not high rise condo and hotels so it is a bit slower pace than other Florida coast tourist areas. There is a state park on the east end of the island with nine miles of undeveloped beach which you can access from parking areas across the dunes.

No problem working with the controllers as you come down between the MOAs,... which are busy a fair amount of time. (or you can go along coast which I have not done, but heard it is not a problem either,.. just pay attention to what you are assigned)

Apalachicola KAAF

Visit the "forgotten coast", which is what they call themselves.

Rental car available at the FBO. Marietta says the FBO has more plants than ANY FBO she has seen. (lots of semi tropicals) Town is sleepy during the off season... packed from spring to fall. (when we were there at end of 2011, the FBO was not sure the county was going to renew their lease)

We were there at end of year. Saw an owl on the power line walking from resturant to hotel. Hotel was on the water... watched the dolphins make the morning rounds(and listened to them blow)at the start of the morning as the sun rose on the bay. Apalachicola River Inn is where we stayed.... might wonder looing at the outside,.. but reasonalbe enough inside (no big, fancy chains in town) breakfast was included with room, and was very nice, again served "on the water".

Ate supper at the "Apalachicola Seafood Grill". Boats pulled in a few blocks away,.. so seafood was fresh. I have never seen so many people tonging for oysters as you see going across the bridge to St. George Island. If you want to fish yourself, there appears to be a number of charter boats available.

Beaches are across the bay,... many hotels and rental properties available. While it is a tourist area... there are not high rise condo and hotels so it is a bit slower pace than other Florida coast tourist areas. There is a state park on the east end of the island with nine miles of undeveloped beach which you can access from parking areas across the dunes.

No problem working with the controllers as you come down between the MOAs,... which are busy a fair amount of time. (or you can go along coast which I have not done, but heard it is not a problem either,.. just pay attention to what you are assigned)

Marco Island and Everglades City

MCO and X01 are tow really fun places to fly to and eat. Marco will lend you an airport van to go into the city for anyplace for lunch. Everglades City will send a car to the airport to pick you up for some really good sea food. Everglades is fun to land at with a 2400 ft paved runway with water on both ends.

Perry-Foley Airport - 40J - Perry, FL

We decided to stop at 40J on the way to Sun-N-Fun and back this year year. They offered us a crew car overnight so that we could get a hotel room and head out to Lakeland early the next morning. Fuel was reasonable and they normally have 3 runways, so high winds are not a problem (18/36 is being paved now). Nice people to deal with... see photos here.

OK-Here is the best offer in Fla.--Fly to HWO (Hollywood-North Perry) and I will pick you up and take you to lunch. I retired yesterday and can't wait to show off our area. If you happen to be a pool player or would like pocket billiard instruction, bring your stick and I'll be happy to accommodate for no charge at my home. Check out www.Jerryspoolschool.com.

Last edited:
Link is bad

OK-Here is the best offer in Fla.--Fly to HWO (Hollywood-North Perry) and I will pick you up and take you to lunch. I retired yesterday and can't wait to show off our area. If you happen to be a pool player or would like pocket billiard instruction, bring your stick and I'll be happy to accommodate for no charge at my home. Check out www.Jerryspoolschool.com.

Roger,

The link to the poolschool is bad.

See you at Sebring....

Thanks Gary,
The new link is www.poollessons.com then click on Jerry Briesaths link. Let me know what you think and hope to see a lot of RV'ers down in this neck of the woods.

Last edited:
OK-Here is the best offer in Fla.--Fly to HWO (Hollywood-North Perry) and I will pick you up and take you to lunch.

No joke about the food, right? :D Are the meals big enough to box the rest? Nobody feeds me anymore on North East coast I am thinking of expanding the pasture. You said March 13th? :D

Vlad (and everyone else) ... The kitchen is always open at 53VG and the menu is very flexible - at least from the cook's perspective. It's also an unlisted RV hotel stop. Located half way between Maine and Florida :)

Glen, can we see a menu? :). Perhaps we could fax in our order and it would be ready for us when we land? :D. Oh, almost forgot, are UNPAINTED aircraft still allowed?

I was serious about anyone flying in to HWO. I retired this week and now have the time to show off our airport and the area. We have many fine resteraunts close by and I will be happy to take any RVer who lets me know in advance to lunch.
Woodman

I was serious about anyone flying in to HWO. I retired this week and now have the time to show off our airport and the area. We have many fine resteraunts close by and I will be happy to take any RVer who lets me know in advance to lunch.
Woodman

Hi Woodman! Is Sunday morning considered in advance? I will bring a relative we are really starving here in NY and Philly. There is absolutely nothing left to eat except Burger King and McDonalds :D Two RVs to park somewhere safe no passengers. Gas cans with us for unleaded boat fuel :D

Glen we will stop by you for late breakfast. Isn't RV community great?!

looks like vlad just reserved turbo rvhotel for saturday night. this guy is going to hit 400+ hours in one year for sure!!!!:confused:

Most skydiving Centers will have hot food as well.

2IS (Airglades) has a food truck at the skydiving center open every weekend. Also has a car. I am there flying most weekends so if you are there, ask for Ron and I'll drive you to town for Lunch. Airglades normally has inexpensive gas.

X51 Homestead has a food truck on the field, near the West FBO.

ZPH Zephyrhills has a food confession at the skydiving center.

DED has two places on the airport. The Skydiving Center has one and to the North the Airport Bar has a great hamburger.

X07 Lake Wales has a food concession at the skydiving center as well.

Pappy's closed

Was at KGIF over the weekend and Pappy's Grill in the terminal is closed as of today. It's a shame I loved their sweet potato fries...

Chris

Was at KGIF over the weekend and Pappy's Grill in the terminal is closed as of today. It's a shame I loved their sweet potato fries...

Tied down at Winter Haven for Sun n Fun this year. Pappy's may be gone but was reopened under a new name. Nice facility! Good food!

Any RV12 flying in will be happy to know they have mogas, as well at KGIF!

Back