What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front of Air Ramp Sticks Up

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
Despite my best efforts the air ramp and filter holder on the left side always puckers up away from the snorkel fiberglass. Just enough that when the engine shakes at shutdown (or startup too prob) it rubs on the cowling and frets/wears. And it doesn't look right too.

So I drilled some #52 holes through it all and put in some wire to hold it down. Curious what pitfalls anyone forsees.

I suppose the cowling seal will not lay entirely flat here but it shouldn't make a big difference it's a small wire. When it puckered up it wasn't exactly laying flat anyway and I'm sure air went forward under the sandwich here as a baffle leak. This might actually be better never will know unless I get a 200 MPH fan to blow into it while I inspect it.

IMG_3618.JPG

Last edited:
Consider riveting an extra strip of metal over that area, .032 or .040. A slight angle in the attached strip would greatly help with any puckering.
When the new piece is clecoed in place and you still have a pucker it may be necessary to take a small slice out of the middle of the original part.
That may mean making new cover strip as the original holes may not line up.

I had similar issue due to rubber cowl baffle material that attaches to the lower cowl inlet extending over this piece sitting a little low and pushing it up in flight. I solved it by re-cutting the rubber pieces longer and slightly sanding back the front of the lower cowl inlet to allow the rubber to smoothly move over the ramp and stay on top when engine is run. It's gotten better as the engine settles in and drops a bit.

I made those trim adjustments too. Then one post flight I found the front part of the bracket broken and laying on the filter! So far the wires are doing a good job.

Back