What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Aileron trim

acam37

Well Known Member
Ok, I've searched the forums for installation pics and come up short. I really like Paul Dye's trim design on the RV-3. However I'm going with a RayAllen servo. Are there any good pics or drawings that show exactly how it's done? I did the elevator already but that design was a lot of trouble to incorporate into a completed structure. I'm looking for something simple for the aileron.

How about Vans aileron trim kit?
It comes complete with ray allen servo and a detailed drawing
Easy to install spring biased system.

Rolled my eyes!!

Hi,

This might sound like a flippant question but it is not intended to be.

Why bother doing all this work and adding weight to your 4. With proper fuel management aileron trim changes in a 4 are almost non existent. I put in Vans simple mechanical trim and have now removed it....it is weight I don't need for a purpose that does not exist.

Build it light and simple, its a sports bike of the sky!!

All the best.

What I did

I put electric aileron trim on my -4, with the Ray Allen servo in the left aileron using the Vans kit...but, I didn't use the external hinge tab. I made a very simple flush tab similar to the elevator configuration, but much smaller. Works great, with elevator, aileron and flap controls all on the top of the stick.

I'm looking for detailed install pics using a RayAllen servo with a rod connecting to a piano hinge trim tab. The hat switch on top of my Infinity grip is already wired into the GRT panel and the wires ran out to the aileron. I saw one on a -6 that was mounted in the leading edge of the aileron.

I'm looking for detailed install pics using a RayAllen servo with a rod connecting to a piano hinge trim tab. The hat switch on top of my Infinity grip is already wired into the GRT panel and the wires ran out to the aileron. I saw one on a -6 that was mounted in the leading edge of the aileron.
I did mine stock as you describe and that aileron is off so I should be able to get you pics of pretty much anything you need sometime this week. Anything in particular you'd like?

Nauga, I'm a visual guy, so just a few pics of the general layout with some measurements such as the trim tab size. I've got an idea of what I need to do, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel either.

2znpt9x.jpg

Drawing EAT-1. If you don't have it, get it.

xm9a39.jpg

Trim tab and pushrod exit. Right aileron inboard bottom.

14jqfig.jpg

LE to TE, right aileron inboard bottom.

2yllmdj.jpg

Access cover removed, right aileron LE inboard top

33az1gw.jpg

Trim servo mount and butt end of the trim servo. Right aileron inboard looking in the LE towards the TE.

Between the drawing and the pics you can hopefully get the basic idea.

Plans

That's it, thanks. I saw this setup somewhere on the web while searching for pictures, but can't remember where.

These pics a very helpful but I am still trying to figure out where to make the wire exit the ailern to minimize movement. Any hints? The drawing EAT-1 doesn't show that detail.

Run the wire outboard through a small hole in the end rib of the aileron, into a similar hole in the wing tip rib. Keep it as close as possible to the hinge/pivot axis. I have mine in sleeve type flexible conduit, and ran the wires from the cockpit out to the wingtip alongside the NAV light wires. All conections are in the wingtip. The wire barely moves when the aileron is deflected.

My trim tab is on the inboard end of the aileron so it will have to go into the wing through a hole in the aft spar. I am not sure why people put it on the outboard end. It will just make the wires longer. There is no aerodynamic advantage to putting it there.

I installed mine on the OB end just to make wiring easier. I didn't want to run wires through rear spar since I had a nice conduit run at the LE for the lighting.

Ah ok that makes sense. I bought a project so I don't have that luxury. The trim servo installation is done.

Back