What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto 3-blade prop

dan carley

Well Known Member
i've been experimenting with a catto 3 bladed prop. built in 2009,is made for rv4 160 hp i have 160 hp, in the rv4, engine is fine,good compressions.
at 4000 ft. 2500 rpms my speed is only 165 mph. when i advance the throttle i can reach 3000 rpm's but it feels like the prop is not grabbing and doing around 190 mph,

initial climb out at 100 mph getting 1900 fpm but after 4000 ft it drops down to 1100 fpm.

is this common for a 3 blades prop?
i'm a little disappointed in the performance any comments?

thanks
dan carley

Dan, could you tell us more about your aircraft configuration?

Also, can you run those test again at 7500 to 8000 ft DA?

prop

standard rv4, stock wheel pants, external wing tip lighting. plane and engine approx. 120 hrs. flies straight no trim tabs.

i did do one run 7700 ft wide open (no gps oops) 2700 rpm around 150 mph

Hi Dan
What is the static RPM on the ground?
you need a GPS to verify that the ASI is not in error also is the tach correct?

Last edited:
Hi Dan
What is the static RPM on the ground?
you need a GPS to verify that the ASI is not in error also is the tach correct?

Dayton, you were just at Craig's last Friday. Wouldn't you agree his best bet is to go to the source and quit trying to figure it out with third hand suggestions?

AX-O the prop Dan has is your old one. Or so I eas told when I bought it from Craig. Didn't work for me on my rv9 and I sold it to Dan. I went back to my Sensenich which worked better for my application.

ax-o

i did call catto it is your old prop,was there a reason you changed it? i did check tac it's fine also checked asi with gps very close.

dan

prop

catto is going to re pitch it for free. it hits 3000 rpm at full throttle he will bring it down to 2700

good people to work with

Back