What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Antenna

dpansier

Well Known Member
I have developed a external mount aircraft antenna specifically tuned to the APRS frequency. The antennas are DC grounded and have a internal impedance matching network to provide very low VSWR. I have both straight and bent element models for top or belly mounting.

I'm looking for a two people that can quickly mount the antennas and provide some test feedback. The mounting will require drilling three holes in the aircraft and the RF connection is a BNC female.

The antennas test very good in the lab but would like to get some airborne results as I do not have my RV-7 complete.

If you have interest please click on the web link below, go to the contact page and click on the email.

Thanks,

I was thinking you'd re interested . . .

Hi Don - Not flying yet, but have installed your Transponder antenna. Thought you would be a candidate to build a low cost APRS antenna. Hopefully someone will fly it for you soon . . . good luck.

I have been testing a couple of Don's COM antennas and I can tell you that Don is a great guy and his antennas look and perform great. I plan to write up a little review of his latest offering really soon. Take a look at his website for more info until then.

http://deltapopaviation.com/Delta_Pop_Aviation/VHF_Com_Antennas.html

Don is an RV builder and experienced pilot. Not affiliated just pleased with his products!!!

Wish I had my Tracker ordered and installed!

Last edited:
Any pireps on Don's APRS antenna? It's about time for me to decide what to mount.

The date of the first post was about 6 months ago, I did not receive any takers so I shifted my efforts to other areas.

The rebirth of this old post has generated interest from several flyers who volunteered to test the APRS antenna.

I will contact them via email to discuss the test plan.

I have several APRS antennas out in the test mode, both RocketBob and N44PH have the antenna installed on their RV aircraft. N44PH has several months of operation and RocketBob a few weeks.
The initial reports are very positive as reported here on VAF.
I expected they would perform great as the APRS antenna is very similar to the VHF Com antenna I produce and all reports have been 100% positive.
The APRS antenna will be priced the same as the VHF Com antennas.
I have not put the APRS antenna up on the website as of yet but will do so soon.
If you have interest please email and we can discuss further.

It works really well...no issues. Coverage is very sparse in my area and I typically don't get good hits until I'm ten miles down the road if I have the APRS in my car, with a Diamond roof antenna, which is a good mobile antenna. But as soon as I depart from our strip with Don's antenna on the belly I immediately get hits thru a friend's iGate about 20nm away. I was thinking I would have to set up my own iGate to get good close-to-home coverage but that has proven not to be the case.

I posted some of my tracks from the formation clinic I was at over the weekend in another thread.

Back