What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Track-o-holic alert! Pete's airborne

Sam Buchanan

been here awhile
Just got a message from Pete Howell's Blackberry that he is launching for UBE for lunch.....well, he said "dinner"..maybe he means that meal at the end of the day, but in this here parts that means mid-day. ;)

Last edited:
Just got a message from Pete Howell's Blackberry that he is launching for UBE for lunch.....well, he said "dinner"..maybe he means that meal at the end of the day, but in this here parts that means mid-day. ;)

Whichever it is, he's airborne now:

http://aprs.fi/?call=KD0CVN-1&mt=m&z=11&timerange=10800

If you are watching the flight, notice that some of Pete's beacons are not making it to the system, probably because he is in the middle of nowhere. His tracker is set up to beacon every 45 secs when tracking straight. However, some of the digipeaters he is hitting are a hundred miles away from the plane.

Last edited:
Can we say addictive!!

Well... now Im hooked. Im watching Pete now on google and cant look away!! I keep refreshing it to see if it will change... then it does.

My productivity today just dropped radically.... :)

Pete needs to boost his signal! I don't know whether to worry about him or not when the tracker fails to report. Of course, he is right near Cumberland Muni, so he may be doing stealth TnG's. :D

Well... now Im hooked. Im watching Pete now on google and cant look away!! I keep refreshing it to see if it will change... then it does.

My productivity today just dropped radically.... :)

Pete's destination is Cumberland, WI, looks like his last beacon inbound was about five miles SW of the airport as he descended through 2897' MSL. Might not be a repeater close enough to pick him up in that area at low altitude. The last beacon was initially picked up by a 'peater about 50 miles NW of the plane then relayed to another repeater ~75 miles farther north before being relayed to an igate that sent the little pink dot to our computer monitor. :)

Pete's in the air again.

Last edited:
Looks like Pete is on the ground at his home airport now. I wonder what that circle was all about near LO Siminstad? Avoidance, or sightseeing?

Circle at OEO

Hi Guys,

Thanks for watching! Spring Break for my youngest, so I played a bit of Hookey, too.
2004950677686594737_rs.jpg

2004929205054724634_rs.jpg

I thought the APRS coverage might be sparse out there, but really not too bad.

By the weekend I'll pull the Jpole and check the tuning - I did not have the equipment to do that on the prototype.

Final 27 KUBE

2004923749436809575_rs.jpg

Kate and I picked up pizzas for dinner at Bona Casa - the old cop car was at Cumberland Muni ready to go.

Mandatory Spread'em photo
2004906291992529080_rs.jpg

Dinner!

2000673894777837707_rs.jpg

Got some great economy on the trip back!

2004996827124415559_rs.jpg

Last edited:
Dropouts

I looked at the raw data from the flight and for one of the 4 min stretches the RV-9A obviously went in to hyper-space where the GPS could not keep up. The packets made it to the internet, but the the data was no good, so no dot reported.

2008-03-11 19:30:14 UTC: KD0CVN-1>TU2S6X,KA9YPF-11,KA9YPF-10,WIDE2*,qAo,N0AGX-12:`x1 (@K'/"BJ}RV-9A/N789PH [Location changes too fast (>500 km/h)]

Eat your heart out Rocket owners - >500Km/h

Heck, even in Metric -that's fast - and totally erroneous:D

Man, you guys are real geeks. I would never want to do anything like that APRS stuff....;) Although I do have a USB gps coming this week.... stay tuned.

Back