What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My APRS "Black Box"

TravisHamblen

Okay, so I went with the 8000 FA which is more sensitive to power input. You definitely can't hook her up dircetly to ships power or you will probably cook the unit. So I went out and got a DC-DC power regulator at:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2494

With this hooked up in line with the power, the 8000 FA will see a steady 12v all the time. But with this added component I didn't know how topackage it so I went with the Radio Shack project box so that I could have both components in one unit and all enclosed to keep out the dust and other goobers that find their way into the strangest places. I could have used a much less complicated method, but once I had the project box I was commited. Based upon the layout of the box, I decided to mount the power regulator upside down, to the top of the inside of the project box.

After this I mounted the 8000 FA to the provided aluminum board that fits inside the project box. When all put together the power regulator and the 8000 FA are oposing each other inside the project box with just a little bit of space between them. Then the SMC antenna connector gets a unibit drilled hole for it to peak out of on one side of the box, and the DB9 connector for the GPS gets a slot cut for it to peak out of the other side of the box. Wire it up, and what do you know, you have an APRS "Black Box."

So thats it, just wanted to share how I pulled it all together. Now I just have to take the ham test next weekend and she will be all ready to use!

Back