What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

horizontal stabilizer skin

I recently had to order replacement skins for my horizontal stabilizer, hs-601pp. When getting ready to put the new skins on I realized the holes did not line up.

image_1.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is where the 702 spar meets the inboard rib.

here is a pic from the side, you can see the hole is about 1/4 lower than the holes in the spar and rib.
image_2.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is the old skin, all the holes are in an even line

image.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Every other hole in the skins match up perfect. Has anyone ran into this? The kit is from 2007 so maybe something has changed from then. Any thoughts/suggestions.

I would guess that with the SB on the Horizontal Stab the factory has moved that hole further aft on the new skins. If you look at the SB it will make sense and you would see that the spar gets trimmed ,and the rib get cut off to eliminate the original hole in the spar.

Last edited:
Yup The SB changed the skins

Yup, Vans must have modified the skins after they made adjustments with the service bulletin. I've double checked my empennage and its the same as your new skin and my kit is from late 2014.

Not entirely sure how your modifications of the old HS-405 will work with the new skin as the SB addresses how to modify it for use with the old skin. No matter what, you will have to order the new HS-00001 doublers. Call van's to order the doublers and also ask them how to work it in with the new skins. They might have you use the new HS-00005 ribs?? (They are the new part number for the old HS-405 with adjustments already made for the doublers) Also...with the new skin, you may want to check that inboard forward rib HS-404 (that is a new part number HS-00006....maybe they changed holes there too)

Service Bulletin SB14-01-31

Last edited:
Ribs

If memory serves the inboard ribs are not drilled so I would replace those as well. That will eliminate cutting the flange off and making a doubler.
I rebuilt mine too.

Back