What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A #92229 WA

MercFE

Well Known Member
Started talking about my build over the RV-9 area, but figured it would be better to give updates on the build over here.

Just completed our first sub assembly, the vertical stab. We've already prepped all of the internal parts for the HS and the rudder, so diving into assembling them soon. Should have them completed within the next week or so.

It's nice to have a actual stopping point for one evening... LOL

Victor, getting that first piece that actually looks like it might be part of an airplane is pretty cool! Have fun and keep pounding those rivets!

Woo hoo! Congrats Victor. It looks like you did a very nice job. Now you have something you can point at and say "I'm building an airplane...see there's part of it".

Congratulations

Congratulations. Well done. And thanks for being one of the few who peel the vinyl. :D
My Lucy is neked as well.

Congratulations. Well done. And thanks for being one of the few who peel the vinyl. :D
My Lucy is neked as well.

Planning on painting eventually anyways. And it sounds like a complete pain to try to trim out the rivet lines. I am leaving the blue on through the whole skin prep though, removing just prior to riveting.

Second time front page already? Really??

~J~

Slow news day in the VAF... :p

Feels good eh? :D The empennage is probably the most memorable part in all airplane. Keep pounding Victor when wings are due?

Victor, what kind of primer have you been using? ~J~

Using the Akzo Nobel primer that seem popular with many of the builders here. I'm amazed at how easily it does go on, and is tough as nails.

The past week or so has been rough on the build. Wound up at a stopping point on most of the parts through errors. Waiting on a few replacement pieces from Vans, primarily a new rudder skin due to a dent from a walking rivet gun. Worst part, it was the last rivet that needed setting with the gun before I finished the rudder with the squeezer. :mad:

But, I do have the wing kit on order. So, probably will get the rudder skin shipped with the kit to keep the cost down a little bit.

Guess I can always move on to the elevators until the piece arrives...

I have a few hammer marks on the end pieces of my toolbox kit. I found that if you're using a gun, the work can NOT move. Thanks for letting me know on the primer. I suppose it's available at any paint store?

~J~

Might be time for an update...

Been working diligently on the empennage, hoping to complete prior to the wings arriving in a week or two.

Horizontal stab is completed up to the installation of the rear spar. Once I finish it up tomorrow, the elevators are primed and ready for riveting.

When we were putting the rudder together, had some damage on one of the skins. Waiting on the new skin to be shipped with the wing kit to cut down on shipping costs.

Pretty good progress... And a reserved tail number. Hopefully the plane will be accepted into the club, Vlad.

Ohoho you will get your share of fun with this number. From "it's bad" to "it's cool" to "it's you again" :D

Ohoho you will get your share of fun with this number. From "it's bad" to "it's cool" to "it's you again" :D

Completely understand. Actually did it because of a bit of fun my dad had with a registration on a vehicle...

His initials are CFC. When he went in to get the new tags for his black Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel truck, they tried to issue him something in the 700's, i.e. 754CFC.

Some lady walked in, while he was in the office, complaining that there was no way she was going to be putting 666CFC on her car and asked for a replacement. My dad thought it would be fitting on his truck, so took her tag off her hands...

Back