What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sky-Tec starter for IO360

PCollins

I'm New Here
Thanks to the group for the help!
So, I have an IO-360 in my RV8 but because of the poor starter turnover was told to upgrade from the 149-12XLT to the 149-12HT. When I got it, it was immediately evident that the fitting is difficult - need to modify carb air intake, need a longer starter drive wire, and the most difficult is that the set-up for the mixture control no longer fits. The mixture control will not go through a full motion.
Any ideas? Thanks again.
Paul Collins
N8ZV

Thanks for the quick response. So, there is not a way to get the Sky-Tec starter to fit?
That is disappointing on many levels. Do you perhaps have a picture of your set-up?
Thanks again,
Paul Collins
N8ZV

Thanks to the group for the help!
So, I have an IO-360 in my RV8 but because of the poor starter turnover was told to upgrade from the 149-12XLT to the 149-12HT. When I got it, it was immediately evident that the fitting is difficult - need to modify carb air intake, need a longer starter drive wire, and the most difficult is that the set-up for the mixture control no longer fits. The mixture control will not go through a full motion.
Any ideas? Thanks again.
Paul Collins
N8ZV

I have an HT on my angle valve -8. Working on the intake snorkel now and it took serious modification to properly get from the Bendix to the correct location on the ramp but it clears the starter fine...after taking a couple unused mounting tabs off the starter.

You can change the starter wire without too much difficulty. I had to do just that, and it went far easier than I thought... But I'm not flying yet. Still, it can be done.

Mixture control...make a new bracket. I just did that as well, not too difficult. I guess what I'm saying is, it can be done... You just have to decide if you are going to do it or not.

Last edited:
By the way, I believe the newer SkyTec starters (149-12HT) incorporate an anti-kickback protection system, which makes the units about 7/8 inches longer than the non torque protection units. The new and the old styles both appear to have the same model numbers!?? I discovered this while during final assembly, when my new starter no longer fit. I had used the older style during inital assembly. Perhaps the older style is still availible, and you could live without the anti-torque feature?

Sky tec starter

My original starter was the "LS" lightweight permanent magnet starter, which really flattened the battery on hot starts. Sky Tec recommended the 149-NL which bolted right up with no modifications to the Vans snorkel or any other engine items. Even the starter wire fit with no mods. The NL is a series-wound motor which draws considerably less current and spins the engine briskly. It is also an in-line unit, making the "frontal area" smaller than the lightweight series, reducing interference with other accessories.

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and got the 149-12HT and am now putting it on the O-360. There are issues with the mixture control, the air intake box, and the starter cable, but I can get over them. If I can, when I am done, I will send a picture. So far it looks good and it should crank a lot better for the high compression. Thanks again!
Paul Collins
N8ZV

Just some follow-up. I got the 145-12HT in, adjusted the intake to fit, adjusted the mixture cable to fit, adjusted the battery cable to fit, and a few other things to fit, and it works GREAT! So, I wish I had already known that, but if you have a, um, cylinder boosted o360, get the HT starter.
Now, it is just fine.
Thanks again for the help!!
Paul Collins
8ZV

Back