What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blind rivet recommendation

FlyBoy8

I installed the HS-706 tip ribs in the horz stabilizer of my 8 and as I was starting to rivet them to the skin I realized I had forgot to dimple one of them. The rear spar was already riveted on so my easiest option was to drill out the 2 AN470AD4-4 rivets holding the tip rib to the front spar to get the rib out and dimple it. Now I need to know which blind rivet to use in place of those 2 rivets since I can't get a bucking bar in there now.

Please help...

I have the following blind rivets, but will buy whatever is needed if I don't have it already:

AD-41-ABS (these look too small for a 1/8" hole)
BSPQ-5-4 (I would have to enlarge the rivet holes to 3/16" I believe to use these)
MK-319-BS (these look like the best option of what I have on hand)

However, I also have my wing kit, so I suppose there could be some rivets in that kit I could "borrow" if necessary.

Thank you for the help,
Mike

Consider using LP 4-3s or LP 4-4s. Suggest ordering some if you don't already have these, get some extras.

If you have not removed the rib yet , you could dimple the skin and rib together in assembly.

Thanks for the advice. I will order some LP rivets now.

Didn't think about trying to dimple in place. I was so mad at myself all I could think about was getting it out and dimpling it like I should have done in the first place. I get in too much of a hurry. It's my biggest problem.

Hurry up and wait

Thanks for the advice. I will order some LP rivets now.

Didn't think about trying to dimple in place. I was so mad at myself all I could think about was getting it out and dimpling it like I should have done in the first place. I get in too much of a hurry. It's my biggest problem.

Mike
Vans is the easiest to purchase LP4-3 and LP4-4.
Don't order too many of the LP4-3s. You'll get them in the next kits. The LP4-4 do not come in the kits. Those you might buy 20 or so. There aren't very many used. I used some to rivet leading edges to the wing. I checked with Vans first.

You know this but just in case.
It's faster and cheaper to stop and think about the project than to push forward, make an error, order parts, wait for parts then do over. The real trick is knowing when that moment has arrived. My scrap pile is evidence to the contrary. :eek:

Thanks for the tip Larry.
I know, I need to stop and think twice before I start riveting something.
I'm getting pretty good at drilling out rivets though.

Hopefully I am learning from my mistakes as I am about to start on the wing kit. Pretty exciting.

I really appreciate the advice from the experienced builders on the forum.

Thanks again,
Mike #83456

Back