What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Fuel Pump Installation

MartySantic

Well Known Member
Have decided to replace my 912ULS fuel pump with the new model due to fuel pressure variations.

Has anyone installed the new model? Looking for a description or photo of the drain line routing. What type of drain line was used? What type of clamps are required to mate the hoses to the fuel pump? What type of clamps are required for the firesleeve?

And if possible the source, part numbers of the above components.

Please let me know.

one more question on the new fuel pump installation.....

Last week I found my pump starting to fail - lots of fuel out of the weep holes and running down the gearbox, oil around where the case is crimped together, slightly lower pressure and slightly higher flow. I was told by both Leading Edge and Lockwood that to be covered under warranty, it needed to be replaced 'like for like', so I need the pump including the crimped on hoses. Of course, no one in the country has a pump with the hoses in stock, but are expecting some in the 'next week or two'.

Has anyone who has reused their old hoses had trouble getting warranty coverage ?

Warranty Coverage

I do not understand. If the Rotax dealer sends a new fuel pump without hoses to a customer and the customer sends the old fuel pump without hoses back to the dealer, then that is exchanging like for like. Why would there be trouble getting warranty coverage ?
Joe Gores

Joe/Marty,

When I ordered the new fuel pump I was asked the same question and was told it had to be replaced like for like if I was intending to submit a warranty claim. I am past the warranty period so I ordered the pump without the hoses.

New Pump Install

I installed the new style pumps without hoses attached. Regarding the pump drain line, there is limited clearance between the lower cowl and the lower engine casing (less than 1-1/2 in). I made a made an "L" shaped bracket for an Adel clamp and then used the open engine attachment point just below cyl #1 to attach the clamp bracket. I used 1/4" fuel hose for most of the drain and used fire sleeve over the segment located above the muffler. Near the engine mount in the rear, I used a section of 1/4 in aluminum tubing which was stubbed into the fuel drain hose and clamped with an Oetiker clamp. The aluminum tube has a 90 degree bend and the horizontal run of the tube is supported with Adel clamps mounted to the engine mount. The aluminum tube vertical run is located near the nose wheel firewall attachment and the gascolator. Used a hose spring clamp to attach the drain to the barb on the bottom of the pump. Oetiker clamps were used to attach the fuel line inlet and outlet to the pump barbs. After leak check, firesleeve ends were banded with stainless straps.

Back