What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator horn drill

mciaglia

Well Known Member
Well, I decided to go back to the empanage attach while I wait for my finish kit. I mounted the elevators and did the horn drilling. I followed the instructions exactly but ended up with an off set hole downward. It’s still in perfect fore-aft alignment because my elevators are only about a 1/32” off between them. I’m going to check with Vans, but thought I would get some weekend input

Pic: https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1964/44800031522_fd06055c8e_o_d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the trailing edges in straight, parallel alignment or is the right in an offset?

As long as the elevators are in alignment, I don't see how the symmetry of the holes matters, as long as there is enough meat left to hold the bolt.

Larry

I can't see how the two horns ended up a different vertical height.

The issue is going to be that when you tighten the bolt and the holes get pulled into alignment vertically, does it pull the elevators out of alignment. Also, as Larry pointed out, your edge distance on the left hole.

One idea worth checking here is that the right inboard heim is running straight (90*) into the rear spar. If it weren't perpindicular to the spar it could cause a misalignment of the elevator.

Larry

I did a similar thing in error and corrected it by redrilling and welding in a washer to move the hole. This was acceptable by Vans.

Last edited:
Had the hole welded this am. Take 2 on drilling this
I think the pic gives the sense that the right one is lower. They?re equal in length. Thee right one is slightly forward relative to the left one. The bearing bolt on top is drilled has the elevators in smooth movement. The bearings are all exactly 7/8? and the counterbalances have an equal 1/8? gap. First fit with no problems.

The issue is going to be that when you tighten the bolt and the holes get pulled into alignment vertically, does it pull the elevators out of alignment. Also, as Larry pointed out, your edge distance on the left hole.

Mine were actually a bit offset too like Mark's.

Second time it came out perfect. I used a piece of delrin shaved down to fit between the two horns. I triple checked the drill press and the drill once clamped into position.

Back