What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hole size for fuel tank repair/access panel kit

digidocs

Well Known Member
Hi there,

Does anyone happen to know the size of the hole that is cut in the rear baffle for use with the Van's fuel tank repair/access panel kit? Looking to track down an appropriate hole saw...

Thanks!

Using one of these circle cutter tools on the rear baffle of a tank with a hand held drill would be rather sporty.

The circle cutters work well when the work can be clamped on a drill press table.

Helped work on tanks for a 9. Think 5" was the hole size. Bought a hole saw set from Harbor Freight for about $15. Cheaply made but you only use it for this. First cut a piece for 1/2" plywood to center the hole on the back flange, cut hole in the plywood. You now have a jig to hold the saw where you wish to cut the hole in the tank.

Using one of these circle cutter tools on the rear baffle of a tank with a hand held drill would be rather sporty.

The circle cutters work well when the work can be clamped on a drill press table.

Gil is spot on! I have been fabricating in metal for many years, many and "sporty" made me laugh and is putting it mildly...HAHA

Exactly what I did. Removed the tank from the plane. Secured it to the drill press and drilled the holes. I will not say it was "Easy Peazy" but it was uneventful.

Back