What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stuctural Pulled Rivets

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Are there any pulled rivets that will replace AN426AD3-5 & -6 driven rivets in a structural area? I have about 5 rivets that attach the skin to the longeron near the tip up canopy handle and under the cover in the cabin. I can not get behind the structure to buck. This is my mistake as I got ahead of the plans somehow and do not want to drill out a ton of rivets if at all possible.

Thanks,

Cherrymax 1/8 dia.

John,
You won't likely find a 3/32" dia. replacement, but the 1/8" dia. cherry max with 1097 (reduced head) as mentioned will have the same basic countersink size. I keep them in my shop, and it's pretty much a direct structural replacement for a solid rivet. They can be pulled with a pop rivet gun, but must be sized correctly in length (regular pops are not as critical), because of the inconel locking ring feature. If they are botched on install, the removal procedure must be done very carefully or the ensuing "train wreck" will occur.

Exactly where are these rivets? To use Cherry Max you will need more room behind the rivet for the shaft. Some disassembly might be required to fix this. Can you post a picture or drawing reference?

I will try to post a photo later. The rivets attach the fuse. side skins to the longeron at the point in front of the external latch handle on a tip up. This would be in the area longitudinally at the center spar area but at the longeron/skin (on the outside of the cabin). There is room for a pulled rivet tail but the center section covers on the inside of the cabin prevent bucking with driven rivets. Thanks for all your input.

Where to buy Cherry Max Rivets?

Where can I purchase the NAS1097 type Cherry Max rivets? I have talked to Tech Support at Van's and this type should work.

Thanks for all your help.

CCR264SS-3 Cherry Nut Plate Rivets

Will these work in place of the AN426AD-3 rivets? They can be purchased in the correct size but are they as strong as the driven rivets or is it better to us the 1/8" CherryMax?

There are a lot of pulled rivets on the market!:confused:

Thanks

The ccr264ss rivets are not what you want. They are a hollow tube after pulling, and are really only suitable for retaining nut plates. I don't think you would want to use them in a structural application.
Cheers
DaveH

Back