What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage kit order - extras.

madmaveric

Well Known Member
First let me say thanks to all the posters on here, I don't post much but read the forums daily and have found many problems I faced already answered without the need to post.

I've just put in my fuselage kit order and noticed that this kit appears to be the only one without optional extras (lots for finish and the lighting for the wings).

Is there anything else worth looking at ordering/doing during the fuselage build stage. I see lots of additions on here but not sure what can/should be done during the fuselage part of the build (without the finish kit available)

For non Vans kit options I plan on doing the canopy lock mod (if the frame comes with the fues kit). I will also look at adding a usb charging socket.

So any ideas, recommendations for this stage of the build would be welcome.

Canopy and frame will come with your finish kit. Your wiring harnesses, also in the finish kit if I remember correctly include a usb port under the panel. There is an auxiliary 12v cigarette lighter socket between the seats. Look up a recent thread discussing the merits of various usb charge sockets that can be used. Having the cigarette lighter plug increases your options.
Hope this helps,
Cheers, DaveH

Last edited:
Thanks, I wasn't sure which kit the canopy frame would be in. Maybe it should be renamed to 'non ali parts kit' :D.

I'll have another look at the usb thread before I make a final decision on fitting a dedicated usb socket as. From what I can tell, the cigarette to 2 way usb flush adapters seem to be just as good as long as you don't need a cigarette socket at the same time.

Boiling the kettle for an in flight cuppa, while you are charging your ipad may exceed the capabilities of the rotax 'minimalist' charging system:D:
DaveH

Auto Pilot Servo Brackets

While you're assembling the Fuse is a good time to install the AP servo brackets while you have open access and can work with the fuse on it's side.

I believe that the AP servo brackets come standard with the fuselage kit -- whether or not you order the AP servos themselves. However, if you ever intend to install the AP servos, do it while the fuselage is under construction and readily accessible.

Are the servos easy to install (if the brackets are there) after or are they something best done during the fuse build.

I plan on leaving the avionics till as late as possible which means the servo's won't be installed until then unless it is worth getting them earlier.

Are the servos easy to install (if the brackets are there) after or are they something best done during the fuse build.

I plan on leaving the avionics till as late as possible which means the servo's won't be installed until then unless it is worth getting them earlier.
It can be done. The pitch servo isn't too bad, but the roll servo is back behind the baggage bulkhead and can require some contortions to get at. It would be much easier to do, I suspect, earlier in the build.

This may have changed, but when I was building you bought the servos as options to the Skyview avionics kit, so you would be able to buy them long before you were on the hook for the spendy part of the overall avionics buy.

You might have to decide Dynon vs. Garmin earlier than you might like, though.

Install AP servos during build

As Dave mentioned, the servos are an option kit. Early on, the servo mounting brackets only came when ordering the AP servo kit. I ordered the servo kit with my fuselage kit just to receive the AP servo mounting brackets so they would be easier to install during the build ?. only to find out that Van?s began supplying the AP servo mounting brackets standard with the fuselage kit. When Van?s first offered the Garmin avionics package I was tempted to go that route, but discovered the Dynon servos ARE NOT compatible with the Garmin system. Not wanting to lose the funds paid out for the Dynon AP servos, decided to stay with Dynon.

The takeaway ? If you know you will want an autopilot in your RV12, decide which avionics package you want to fly behind then order the appropriate servos with the fuselage kit. As has been mentioned by others, installing them will be far easier if done during construction of the fuselage ?. especially for the Garmin servos which require some material to be removed from the mounting bracket prior to bolting the servo in place.

Happy building,

Looks like adding the servo purchase in now is the way to go. I'm pretty sure I will go with Dynon at the moment.

I have no experience with any glass display so I should be happy with either as both will be a learning experience for me.

My main reason for thinking of going the Dynon route is that they appear to have good support, and when they came on the market they didn't try and up the prices to the Garmin area just because they could, instead they came in a lot lower than they could have done.

FWIW, I have been very happy with the Dynon SkyView (w/ AP and ADS-B) in my RV-12 ELSA. :)

Another vote for Dynon

Garmin seems to have stepped up its game to better support the experimental community in recent years which I personally think is in response to tough competition from Dynon. Dynon as a company has also been great to work with, really responsive and they keep improving the Skyview software without charging extra fees.

do before tail goes on

If using the Garmin G3X w/autopilot It is much easier to install the autopilot act and wiring mods with the tail off. I also mounted the Garmin 20A to the aft side of the baggage bulkhead with the GA35 ant. at the top of the tailcone. Plan ahead, will save a lot time and energy.

My main reason for thinking of going the Dynon route is that they appear to have good support, and when they came on the market they didn't try and up the prices to the Garmin area just because they could, instead they came in a lot lower than they could have done.
I don't know what Garmin is charging these days, if anything, but the free map updates from Dynon is no small thing either.

I fly a friend's SLSA RV-12 frequently, and it has the G3X Touchscreen. It is very intuitive and provides a huge amount of data, but the database updates are expensive.

Another plus is the Garmin avionics suite uses 1090ES for ADS-B Out. If you want to fly internationally (Mexico, Bahamas and Canada) you will meet international ADS-B Out requirements. --- Providing they give permission for you to operate an ELSA in their country.

The Dynon SkyView SV-XPNDR-261 also uses 1090ES and complies with ADS-B out.
However the SV-ADSB-470 only receives the 978 MHz UAT band, not 1090. Some traffic could be missed if you are out of range of an ADS-B ground station.

Thanks for the responses, I have always got the impression Dynon are actually trying very hard to produce the best and cheapest (price not quality) kit and so far seem to be succeeding.

The idea of having to pay for updates to keep something usable, where you are tied to one company, immediately puts me off any product. That was a big plus for Dynon over Garmin for myself.

It make me feel like I'm renting the kit rather than owning it, but that's just me being cynical. I'd rather pay upfront so I know exactly how much I'm paying for it.

I'll be adding the servo's during the fuse build. It appears that most other options are done during the finish kit so at least it is another straight forward kit :D

Fuselage adds

I'd suggest the two piece cabin bulkhead if its not included in the fuselage kits now. Also, I've used quite a few LP 4-4 pulled rivets. Van's sells these at 5C each so they are not cheap - but I've found them very useful in the wing build. I'd suggest an initial purchase of at least 400. Best of luck and skill to you.

I'd suggest the two piece cabin bulkhead if its not included in the fuselage kits now. Also, I've used quite a few LP 4-4 pulled rivets. Van's sells these at 5C each so they are not cheap - but I've found them very useful in the wing build. I'd suggest an initial purchase of at least 400. Best of luck and skill to you.

First time I've heard that. Where are all these places where vans got it wrong? I've only needed LP4-4s where called out, and they are supplied. In fact I find I've got more than I need.
Cheers,
DaveH

Split baggage floor access panel

There are also split baggage floor access panels where the flaperon torque arms are located so you don't need to remove the fuel tank as well. These can be found in Section 42N concerning the Garmin G3X instructions. The part numbers are F-00081 and F-00083. If you don't plan to install the Garmin system you can just order the shorter panel, then trim down your existing panel to match up. The F-00081 panel has mounting holes for the Garmin GSU 25.

Interestingly I searched for F-00081 and F-00083 on Vans parts page but it wasn't found (although I can see it in the CD plans I have).

They also appear on the Dynon diagrams as well (42C) so I guess it comes with both so looks like I won't need to order it separately.

I found a couple of places on the wing where I thought a 4-4 would have been better than a 4-3 but decided VANs knows better than I do. It was only one or two places where the 4-3 was used in two places and one of them had an extra piece layered on so the shop head wasn't quite as big. I spent a long time looking at the plans to convince me it was correct and I hadn't missed something.

Does anyone know the numbers for the split bulkhead (or better still if it is part of the standard kit now)

Generally, any part that has been incorporated into the plans is included in the kit....... The plans are what regulates the certification level (at any given moment) of the E-LSA and S-LSA airplanes.

The CD plans I have are quite old, I won't get to see the latest plans until the kit turns up.

I will check next time I speak to the nice people at Vans to see if the split bulkhead is part of the current kits they are sending out.

The CD plans I have are quite old, I won't get to see the latest plans until the kit turns up.

If you look through the plans updates (use the chapters directory at the front of your build manual for chapters relevant to the fuselage) that have been posted on the web site you can get a good idea of what to expect.

The split baggage wall is in the Finish kit 'SECTION 33: MISCELLANEA' plans not the fuselage kit as expected (by me anyway). So it took a while to track down.

It seems like it is a standard part now. My CD plans still show the original, one piece part. Good call on checking the new revisions.

Not all of the 12 part numbers are listed thru parts website.

Not all of the 12 part numbers are listed through the parts website or on the "List" but if you call Van's with the part number from the plans you can order them. We have an older kit started by someone else back in 09 so we got our CD back during the fall of 2015 so I've been using it to find the revised updates/parts as well as the documentation of Van's website. We have performed all the fuselage/tank SB's and installed the wing light kit and currently working on the fuselage preliminary wiring. I am installing some of the wiring updates piecemeal due to financial constraints. I will just have those components deleted when I place future orders. Make sure you leave the tunnel clear so you can run the fuselage, options, OAT and ADS-B wiring harnesses before doing the flight controls.

Back