- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2018, 12:25 PM

Default New RV-12iS builder intro

Hello RV-12 forum,

I've just started into an RV-12iS project and would like to introduce myself and let you know what I'm up to with this build. Of course I'll be seeking assistance from those here who have gone before me, and I promise to pay it forward once I'm done - that's one of the things that make the RV world so special and these forums so great.

I'm not new to the RV world but have been away for awhile. I've built an RV-8 and an RV-3B, then took a break for about 9 years with a stint at CubCrafters. I've now joined Dynon, moved back to the Seattle area where I'm originally from, and no longer have any company aircraft to fly whenever I want. Hmm, need to fix that.

Further, with my new role at Dynon I need to be fully up on the avionics world which of course spans both VFR and IFR ops. While I'm fully up on all of today's EFIS systems I'm not fully educated on much of the IFR functionality as I've never taken the time to get my instrument rating. I've been intending to get it for literally about 20 years but have just been busy with RVs, formation flying, glider rating/flying, and even seaplanes via Cubs. It's time to fix both issues so I've started into my instrument rating training and also made the decision to build an RV-12iS.

My intent with the -12 though is a bit different from most builds I read about here. I specifically want an IFR-capable aircraft both for work and personal use reasons. And, having built two E-AB aircraft, I'm a bit spoiled by the flexibility the builder has in configuring the aircraft. Finally, no doubt I'll be doing some product testing as we at Dynon continue developing cool new products. I will therefore build the -12 as an E-AB and will make some minor mods, though of course nothing whatsoever structural. As I've done before I plan to document the build with a web site, and I'll get into my specific plans there.

So, I'll be spending some time here seeking your advice and counsel. And please bear with me as I get my web site up to speed as my immediate priority is to get my instrument rating done. I am now digging out all my old tools and getting my workspace set up and will be starting into the emp kit, which has already arrived, here shortly.

Feels good to be back!

RV-8, first flight 2001 - sold 2004

Last edited by randylervold : 11-02-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:56 PM
Your host.

Great to have you back in the RV world, Randy! And it's great to see you back here on the board. Big smiles and a thumbs up from Dallas.

And I have a lot of IFR PDF docs I can send your way to make studying more efficient. I'll start organizing that....

b,d
Old 11-02-2018, 07:35 PM

You can register your new plane E-LSA and still make changes after getting the airworthiness certificate and flying off the 5 hour test phase. Since you will likely install Dynon Avionics, building strictly according to the plans might not be much different than building E-AB.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich48041 View Post
You can register your new plane E-LSA and still make changes after getting the airworthiness certificate and flying off the 5 hour test phase. Since you will likely install Dynon Avionics, building strictly according to the plans might not be much different than building E-AB.
Absolutely true, but retrofitting a new panel, and a few other things Iím planning, sure seems like a lot of unnecessary work. Some things might not even be possible, at least cleanly.
RV-8, first flight 2001 - sold 2004
Old 11-04-2018, 07:45 AM

Great to see you back, Randy. Many of us will wait eagerly to see what new Dynon products are becoming available.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:50 PM

Default Welcome

Welcome back. Your RV8 was one of my inspirations when I started this addiction years ago.

Steve H
Cold Lake, Alberta
RV7A #70015 - C-FZQX - built - sold
RV7A #71629 - C-FSIS - built - sold across Atlantic
RV7 #70215 - C-GOJU - flying - sold
RV7 #70703 - C-GMIY - flying - sold
RV6 #60119 - C-FHBZ - built - Airventure 2016 Bronze Lindy - sold
RV10 #41779 - built emp - sold
RV8 #82842 - C-FSBG - Fastback with big hp IO-360-A1B6 10:1
Old 11-05-2018, 09:10 AM

Welcome back Randy. You always amazed me with your quality and professionalism in your builds. The f1 rocket I built was a contemporary of your 8. You of course did a slow build faster:-)

Have fun!

Howard Rhodes
Old 11-05-2018, 09:19 AM

Glad you're back, Randy!

I'm looking forward to reading about your -12iS.

For those who haven't seen Randy's RV-3B, it's the best one I've seen that's flying, so far. It's exceptional.

Dave
Old 11-05-2018, 04:34 PM

Default Welcome back

Welcome back, Randy
I used your idea to modify the rudder pedals on my -8 several years ago. They worked out great and are still.
Goog luck with your new adventure.
Regards,
Geoff
Katy, Texas
Old 11-05-2018, 05:36 PM

When you are ready to pick a paint scheme, I'd love to help

I've had more practice!
RV-6, sold, 820 hrs of fun.