What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Picking-list in Excel?

HansLab

Well Known Member
All,
My flight-buddy and me just bought us an RV12 project.
We collected the lot this weekend, armed with a Van's picking list.
However: this list isn't alphabetical, nor numeric.
Now I have to put every single line into Excel to compare my lot to the original stock.
It is surely possible, but I cannot imagine that I'm the first to ask.

Is there any RV12 builder out there that has done this excercise before?
Are there Excel-lists for RV12 available?
I would be helped a lot!!

Thanks for reading and judging,

Hans Labruyere

Last edited:
Hanslab... I think a list of parts in alphabetical order for any given kit would _also_ be helpful to FIND the bag or sub-kit to locate the part as you are building. So I am on kit 4. I do not do an intense inventory. So far almost no missing parts in a bag and Vans domestic shipping is quick. What I would do is:

1) Do immediately check that you have all the sub kits and all the bags. Arrange the bags in numerical order in a box.
2) Do immediately inventory for the major large and/or expensive parts.
3) Write down if you store any parts off site or put them away for "later" use. (Don't ask why I recommend this, too embarrassing).
4) Keep parts in sub kits _together_.
5) Keep parts grouped by bag number (Or you can label a series of multi sectioned parts box to hold rivets, screws, bolts, nuts and washers etc.)
6) Inventory and separate out parts in each bag using labeled sandwich bags when you first open a bag and record/reduce the count on the sandwich bags as you take parts out. With experience you can leave say very large and very small parts in one bag and not be confused.

The challenge in finding parts is mostly at the start of a kit. Very few parts to choose from a the end of the kit. So part number takes you to a sub kit or bag which takes you to the part. Inventory and/or separate sub kits and bags as you need the parts. Doing this allows you to build while separating and breaks down the tedium into small bite size chunks. But then I am the slowest builder on the planet.

Your experience may vary,
Jeff

Kit 66 and still going slow :)

I've got an Excel list that's four years old that you can have. Send me your email address if you'd like it.

Being that old, it doesn't include newer changes or options to the plane.

It is NOT an inventory list of the kits, although it does indicate which kit the part is associated with.

Dave

Gandalf and others - respectfully - there is a MUCH BETTER WAY to do this and save you many, many hours of trouble.

One of your most important TOOLS is this. Buy 4 briefcase size plastic sorting bins - Harbor Freight or a big box store. The kind that close like a briefcase and contain many individual compartments or removable bins.

Inventory your bags of small parts and put each different part into a compartment labelled with its PART NUMBER. DO NOT KEEP THEM IN THE BAGS. YOU WILL NEVER NEED TO REFER TO THE BAGS EVER AGAIN!

If you organize your "briefcases" well you will not need a computer list. The plans show a screw of some sort - you will quickly learn where the screws are! You will know those cases like the back of your hand.

Do not mix parts in the same bin that are the same "thing" - like different size nutplates. You can mix different "things" like one size of nutplate and one size of cotter pin.

This method will save you MANY HOURS. Many advised me to do it this way and I am glad I did.

If you get another subkit before you are done with the last, just inventory and add the new additional same PARTS into the appropriate briefcase bin with the ones from the kit you have not used yet..

The "briefcase" is in this post.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=957608&postcount=27

More hints in this entire thread,
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=122215

Last edited:
Hi Bill... Ha. Ha. Sort of reminds me of my household. One of us has everything sorted and organized. The other leaves items everywhere and does not like to have their system disturbed :)

Jeff

Use storage containers

Ditto Bill?s suggestion for the small hardware. I found some inexpensive partitioned parts containers at Harbor Freight and while watching TV in the evenings completed the inventory counting and filled them up based on the type of part ?rivets, electrical, fittings, screws, nuts, bolts, etc. It has worked out quite well and has only required minor rearrangement of parts as new kits arrived. I used a Dymo label maker and made identification labels for each bin. Sure it takes some extra time to do this, but it pays off in spades later. When you need a nut, bolt, washer or screw they are all in one place and clearly identified.
DSC04486.JPG

Back