- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2014, 05:46 PM

Default Control stick pushrodódoesn't fit

Hi all,

I'm looking for some words of wisdom with respect to trying to attach the pushrod assembly to the bottom of the control sticks, pg 32-05 step 6. After spending many fruitless hours trying to get my hands in there to line up the steel washers and the control rod bearing, I realized that it's not going to fit.

The internal width of the fork is 1/2", but the width of the steel washers plus the bearing is 9/16". Following the maxim of "if it doesn't look like it fits, then you're doing something wrong", I'm looking for some insight as to what I'm doing wrong.

Just for my own curiosity, what is the purpose of those steel washers? If they are to make a nice tight fit, then are both needed? Specifically, if I omit one of them, then I get a pretty good fit without needing to scrape my knuckles excessively.

Thanks in advance for any insights,
-dbh
RV-12 #0760
http://n76012.blogspot.com
Dues paid through 6-2019
Old 10-17-2014, 06:49 PM

You might double check that you have the correct rod-end bearing installed in the pushrod.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Switch to thin washers?

Membership renewed Nov 25, 2018
Old 10-18-2014, 05:51 AM

Default A different way

Take a look at this page step 06

http://www.joesrv12.com/Builder%20Log/bl_32_05.htm

They will install this way with a little thinking

This is a welded assembly

The washers are to keep the wings parallel ( wings of the welded assembly )

Sometimes you can change things vans requires in there instructions, however remember that a lot of engineering has gone into the design of their aircraft and in my opinion they have done a remarkable job. Make changes only if you have the ability to understand all things that the change will affect. Your best off to follow the plans to the T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhill916 View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for some words of wisdom with respect to trying to attach the pushrod assembly to the bottom of the control sticks, pg 32-05 step 6. After spending many fruitless hours trying to get my hands in there to line up the steel washers and the control rod bearing, I realized that it's not going to fit.

The internal width of the fork is 1/2", but the width of the steel washers plus the bearing is 9/16". Following the maxim of "if it doesn't look like it fits, then you're doing something wrong", I'm looking for some insight as to what I'm doing wrong.

Just for my own curiosity, what is the purpose of those steel washers? If they are to make a nice tight fit, then are both needed? Specifically, if I omit one of them, then I get a pretty good fit without needing to scrape my knuckles excessively.

Thanks in advance for any insights,
-dbh
Kit-#12400
www.joesrv12.com
www.EAA1298.com

Last edited by joedallas : 10-18-2014 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Sometimes you can change things ........
Old 10-18-2014, 07:53 AM

Your post dredged up an almost lost memory from five years ago. I had to "spring" the opening a tiny bit wider to make it go together. See picture here.
One Week Wonder Build Team, OSH 2018.
VAF paid through 10/2019.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:01 AM

Default washers at the control rod bearing

John
I think he is talking about the washers at the control rod bearing

But it is the same type of thing as your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Your post dredged up an almost lost memory from five years ago. I had to "spring" the opening a tiny bit wider to make it go together. See picture here.
Kit-#12400
www.joesrv12.com
www.EAA1298.com
Old 10-20-2014, 12:56 PM

Funny...I was just faced with the same step yesterday. Fortunately I didn't have any issues as you described. For what it's worth, I determined that the push rods could be attached to the control sticks off the aircraft and then could be snaked in place. I also used a rod from a hinge and stuck the washer on the end of the rod with a tiny bit of scotch tape. It worked quite well in setting the 2nd washer in place. It was tight but both washers fit in my case. Good luck!

Gary Livesey
Kit#12399

Last edited by RGLives : 10-20-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:59 AM

Unhappy fixed 1 thing, broke another

gents, thanks for the advice. I finally ended up taking the sticks out and attaching the pushrods, then unthreading the pushrod from the bearing and re-installed everything in place.

I now have a new problem: with the stick full back and full roll (either direction) the pushrod rubs against the AN365 lock nut on the forward control blocks. Has any one else had this problem? I'm waiting for some half-height nuts (AN364, IIRC) to see if that permits free travel, but I'd like to find out why they are rubbing in the first place.

Thanks again for any insights!
-dbh
RV-12 #0760
http://n76012.blogspot.com
Dues paid through 6-2019
Old 10-31-2014, 07:16 AM

David,

Without seeing what's on the other side, this suggestion may not work. What if you flip that bolt? Will it clear the head of the bolt? Is the room for the nut on the other side?

I'll see you on Monday.

bob
Old 10-31-2014, 10:45 AM
paul mosher

Are the flight control devices and the stops in place? The throw will be reduced with flight controls installed.

Last edited by paul mosher : 10-31-2014 at 11:22 AM.