What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trig 22 transponder and Trig 72 GPS for ADS-B out.

I purchased a Trig 22 and 72 from Spruce on the advice from the Trig folks at EAA last summer knowing that it would be late fall before it shipped. It shipped and after install had a software update required. When I talked with Trig about the issue, they fully supported me and went very helpful to make it right as quickly as possible. The good news there is they know about the software update requirement (as does Spruce) and have it solved going forward. I flight tested it, got a pass from the FAA and my $500 check. If you are looking for a low cost transponder and ADS-B combo I would suggest this combo. If you have a trig 21 or 22 transponder you can add the 72 for $200 - $300 once you do the software update. The control head fits in a 3.25? panel hole with an adapter. A hanger mate of mine can 3d print an adapter for you if you PM me.

I have the TT22 and love it. But note, I don?t think the TT21 meets the requirements for an adsb-out device.

I have the TT22 and love it. But note, I don’t think the TT21 meets the requirements for an adsb-out device.

The 21 appears to be a Class 2 transponder and the 22 is a Class 1. The FAA requires a Class 1 transponder.

From the Trig website:

You may wish to consider our TN70 product line, this contains all the main components to provide an ADS-B Out solution in one box and can be specified with a TT21. Customers in the U.S. should be aware that FAA, Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) 91.227 requires that a compliant ADS-B Out solution uses a Class 1 transponder. The TT22 is a Class 1 device and meets this requirement. The TT21 is a Class 2 device and does not meet this regulation.

The Class 2 is only supposed to be used outside of the US as I understand the FAA's requirements.

Back