VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-21-2016, 08:44 AM

Pete and Andi,
You sure know how to live life. An inspiration for all of us. Keep those cards and letters coming.

Bernie
RV9 flying - N579DB
Dues paid
Old 07-21-2016, 08:52 AM

Default Cool!

Pete,
What a great trip. If you were up here over the 4th of July, then I was also at the Great Sand Dunes National Park. My family and I are lucky to live in Colorado and we love the Dunes too. Besides sledding on sand and hiking the dunes, the river that flows at the base of the Dunes is simply the best place for little ones. The water is only a few inches deep and about 1500' wide. They loved trenching the sand and rerouting the water flow. There is also a neat, short hike to a cool waterfall near the park entrance, which we usually do. I tell you, it sure is nice to have the "World's Largest Sandbox," as you put it, right in our backyard. Of course, with an RV, one's backyard can be a pretty big place!
RV-10 Working on the "Dreaded Doors"
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ig&project=803
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCyX2FXrlw
Old 07-21-2016, 09:02 AM

Default Zapata Falls

Mike,

We hiked Zapata Falls and the Mosca Pass trail. Both so close, yet so different than the Dunes. So many environments in so little space. This park really is an under-discovered gem.

All of the Jr civil engineers in the river with buckets and shovel were really fun to watch - the river is a great place to cool off after hiking and sledding the dunes, too!

Just Amazing!

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 2250+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN

Last edited by petehowell : 07-21-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:27 AM

Pete,

Sorry we didn't connect this time but I'm glad you and Andi had a great time in my home state! As always, amazing pictures!
Old 07-21-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehowell View Post
Mike,

We hiked Zapata Falls and the Mosca Pass trail. Both so close, yet so different than the Dunes. So many environments in so little space. This park really is an under-discovered gem.

All of the Jr civil engineers in the river with buckets and shovel were really fun to watch - the river is a great place to cool off after hiking and sledding the dunes, too!

Just Amazing!
I'm glad to hear it. Yup, there are many National Parks and Monuments in Colorado, many of which, people don't seem to know about. Great Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde are 2 that come to mind. Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is another one. Shhhh, don't tell anyone.
RV-10 Working on the "Dreaded Doors"
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ig&project=803
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCyX2FXrlw
Old 07-21-2016, 10:46 AM

Default Awesome pics!

Pete,

Awesome pics and looks like great trip. I have read several of your posts, but I don't think I had ever seen a pic of your plane. Really good looking RV!

Todd Wilemon
Aberdeen, MS
Old 07-21-2016, 03:16 PM

Default Been there!

Nice trip report Pete! I grew up in McCook and played baseball on that very same field you were at. In fact, I worked at the airport all through high school as well. Lots of good times there! I assume you went to Macs Drive in for a bite to eat, or at least that's where most people tell others to go! Perhaps I'll run into you at Oshkosh if you are going this year.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:02 PM

Default The Bakery

Tom,

We ate at the Bakery on Norris St. My wife had done some research and picked it for lunch. I had a turkey/apple sandwich that was great, and Andi loved the Ruben. We also checked out the Frank LLoyd Wright home near downtown. McCook is a cool little town(not yesterday at 106, tho!)

Shirley did mention the drive in when we landed.

Based on how we have been treated in McCook last week and Hay Springs last year, it is hard to argue that Nebraskans are not among the friendliest of Americans.

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 2250+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN
Old 07-21-2016, 10:40 PM

Default Ahh yes

Sehnerts bakery.....good stuff!! Yes it does get hot there, but usually not too much humidity like the eastern side of the state.