What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing install after seal strip added to fuse

dick seiders

Well Known Member
Another day, another hurdle. Had wings off and on several times no problem. Added the wing/fuselage rubber seal strip and the task becomes very very difficult. The added force required to align the pin holes is not available using the two person technique. I am thinking about employing the use of an expandable mandrel to pull the two wing pin holes to a point where the pins will pass thru. What have others who experienced this difficulty done to remedy the situation. Appreciate feedback. This one seems tough.
Dick Seiders

wing trim

I had the same problem. I repositioned the trim piece inward so that less of the black trim shows above the wing. It basically occupies less space that way and it still does the job it is supposed to do.

Rich

Rich, by placing seal inward do you mean you moved it down (on top) and up (on bottom) so that the thickness between the wing skin and fuse is less? If so is the skin then is actually bearing on the angled part of the seal. How much is exposed above (or below) the skin edge?
Is this seal really necessary? It seems to defeat the function of easy removal/replacement of the wing feature. How do others feel about it and have they used it at all? Thanks for the feedback, Rich.

Would like to hear from you folks who addressed this issue.
Dick Seiders

Hi Dick,

When Van was looking at my RV-12 this year at Sun-N-Fun, I ask him about this problem as we could not get the wings on with the material that came in the kit. He indicated that the wing root skins should be trimmed to fit correctly. My aircraft was already painted and we did not wish to damage the paint job so we went to Home Depot and found some door seal foam strip that is softer and thiner than the material that came with the kit and it is working very well. Van did say that it was important to seal the wing root as air leaks into the wing would disrupt the lift in that area.

Best regards,
Vern

Moving the trim

Dick,

That is correct. The wing skin then pressed on the angled portion of the trim rather than on the thicker portion. It doesn't look much different (there is still a black line between the wing root and the fuse skin) and it does provide a gap seal (just less) and it fits better. A little extra thinning of the trim strip is necessary where it crosses rivet heads. The wings fit great without the trim strip and less well with it. Some other type of fairing or gap seal might be better but I don't know what that would do. The trim strip is pretty simple. Just changing the line up instructions make it work for me.

Rich

Last edited:
Dick,

That is correct. The wing skin then pressed on the angled portion of the trim rather than on the thicker portion. It doesn't look much different (there is still a black line between the wing root and the fuse skin) and it does provide a gap seal (just less) and it fits better. A little extra thinning of the trim strip is necessary where it crosses rivet heads. The wings fit great without the trim strip and less well with it. Some other type of fairing or gap seal might be better but I don't know what that would do. The trim strip is pretty simple. Just changing the line up instructions make it work for me.

Rich

Rich,

I was waiting for warmer weather to do this (today its 93 so I guess its time). When you say the "angled" portion, does that mean you changed the "line-up" higher or lower?

Installed wings today with the seal strip in place. Method used was a wooden dowel 1and 7/16 diametrer. With a helper pried the insde of pin bushing to push spar to pin postion. Once the first is in the party is over. Of course I had to trim my right plaperon about 1/8 inch as it was slighty rubbing the fuse rivets adjacent to it when moving to the up position. Left side was fine. Alls well that ends well. Thanks to all who responded with suggestions.
Dick Seiders

Back